Chapter 20

~1 month earlier~

                             ~1 month earlier~

I closed my eyes, waiting for death to strike. I squeezed the tears out of my eyes, not wanting to be weak before i died. This was it.

I let out my last breath, and waited. I heard a soft stamp in front of me, and a sigh. I opened my eyes, and looked ahead of me.

Luke was standing in front of me, his arms spread out. His torso was bleeding completely, and his blood was pooling on the floor. He looked back at me, and smiled, blood spilling from the corner of his mouth. My eyes widened, and my mouth fell open. What had he done?

He fell to his knees, and i caught him as he fell. I started crying again, shaking my head. No, why? I should have died, why did he give his life away for me? Why?

I trembled as i put my hands on him, and he started coughing blood. I sobbed, my tears falling on his torso. He smiled at me again, and put his blood covered hand on my face.

"Y-you were worth it. I-i-i liked the moments we shared. D-d-don't mourn for me ok? I... love you." I cried harder, and shook my head. His blood was still spilling from his mouth, but he couldn't say that with such finality.

"No! No, Luke you can't just leave! Who'll be my friend now? Who'll get bored with me in class and help me with my flames? Who'll be the only other person with flames to play Snitch with me? Who'll finish that stupid bucket list we made at the beginning pf the year? Especially the one where we were supposed to set professor's clothes on fire! Luke! Please don't go..." i was full out sobbing now, my lips trembling and my hands shivering. He gave one last weak smile to me, and his hand fell down.

My heart stopped. No. This couldn't be it. This wasn't the end. No. Every part of my heart denied it. No. Maybe he wasn't dead, he was just sleeping. Or unconscious. He was alive, i just had to give him air. He couldn't die on me like that. No.

I ran my shivering hands over his face, trying to make his eyes look at me, instead of looking at the ceiling. I pulled his body onto my lap, trying to get him to wake up. I shook his face, slapping it gently so that he'll wake up.

"Hey. Luke. Look at me Luke. This isn't fair. You can't be the one who gets to sleep like this. I need the rest too. Hey, wake up..." i asked him to get up. I held his hand, his skin had gone completely cold. I shook my head, and put his hand between both of mine, and rubbed it. He just needed to get warm, that was all.

"He's dead." I heard the devil's chilling voice, but i didn't accept it. No, he couldn't be dead. He was alive, sleeping that was all.

I cradled his face in my shoulder, trying to get back the color in his now ashen face, the light in his now dull blue eyes. I rocked back on forth, holding him tight to me. No, he couldn't be gone.

I looked at him, my mind knew that he was gone, but my heart didn't want to accept it. I sobbed harder, not caring that the devil was sneering at me, in this state of mine. I wanted Luke back. He couldn't just leave me like this.