22- Bestie Road Trip

Your alarm clock goes off way too early, but any hope of pushing the snooze button is killed when you see a text from her that says she'll be here in 10 minutes. You go downstairs and your mom is already awake and waiting to send you off. She hugs you after you throw your bag in the trunk and whispers in your ear:
"I'm gonna miss you."

You: "Mom I'm only going to be gone for the day. Our flight is supposed to land back here at 11pm."

Mom: "You've always been so independent and nothing your dad, your sister, or I has ever convinced you otherwise. You're growing up and whether you come back tonight, tomorrow, or not till Christmas... I just know things are changing and I'm not ready."

You hug her back extra tight and climb in the backseat with Avani while her parents decide who's going to drive the first half.

You're about 3 hours into the 10 hour trip to her campus when you finally wake up from your nap.

Avani: "I didn't want to wake you, but someone has been texting you like crazy."

You check and it's Blake. He didn't really need anything of importance, just had been ranting about how hard his workout had been this morning. You send him back a selfie from the morning with a kissy face emoji and throw your phone back in the cup holder.

 You send him back a selfie from the morning with a kissy face emoji and throw your phone back in the cup holder

Avani: "You really like him don't you?"

You: "Yeah... I don't know what I'm going to do honestly."

Avani: "I know it's hard for you to take risks or do anything that isn't like a sure thing but you have to let go sometimes."

You: "You think I should let him go?"

Avani: "No I think you should let your fear of getting hurt go."

You finally get to campus and spend the evening unloading her stuff into her dorm. After you have just enough time to get dinner together before it's time for Avani to drive you to the airport. Her parents go ahead and board early to let you girls say your goodbyes alone. Avani hugs you and you both cry because it's the end of an era. Your whole life you've lived a block away from each other and been there through everything.

Avani: "Just let go..."

You: *pulling away*
"What?"

Avani motions ahead to the counter just next to your gate. The sign above it says, TICKET CHANGE COUNTER and you suddenly understand exactly what she's saying.