viii. mash-up

Sitting in Glee Club, they all were watching Quinn clean the slushy off of Finn. Karofsky had slushied him, showing how less cool the two were becoming.

"The slushy war has commenced." Kurt muttered.

"And if Finn and Quinn got nailed, none of us are safe." Mercedes says.

Mr. Schue walks in. "Okay, guys, we're a little behind for Sectionals, thanks to our Sue Sylvester detour, but you guys seem to really enjoy mash-ups, right?" It was a rhetorical question but Gavin still answered, thankfully nobody heard him. "And I'm gonna keep you guys fired up. Plus, there's an important lesson to be learned with mash-ups. Sometimes things are so different, they don't feel like they go together. But the big difference between them is what makes them great, like... chocolate and bacon." He gave a really bad analogy.

"Or Glee Club and football." Finn said. Now that was a better analogy.

"Exactly." Mr. Schue points at him. "But you've proven that it is a great combination." Quinn and Finn look up at him. "So, here is my personal favorite song, and your homework for the week is to find an unexpected mash-up to go with it." He hands out the sheet music as he talks. "

" 'Bust a Move'?" Kurt questioned.

"Yeah, this song is old school." Mercedes said.

"All right, um, Artie?" Mr. Schue asked. "Try to follow along on the bass." He rolls his wheel chair over to the band. "Finn, take us through it." He points at him.

"Uh, I'm sorry, Mr. Schuester. I got corn syrup in my eye." Finn told him.

Heather snorted. "Big baby." She mumbled, earning a light slap from Magnolia and a chuckle from Gavin.

"Okay, uh, Puck, how about it?" Mr. Schue asked him.

"I don't really groove to Young MC." Puck told him.

They all looked at Gavin who just shook his head. "I am shocked at the lack of leading-man ambition in this room right now." Rachel states.

"It's okay, Rachel. I guess I'm gonna have to show these guys how it's done." Mr. Schue says making them all cheer for him.

Mr. Schue takes lead and dances with the rest of the Glee Club. They all begin dancing with one another, except Kurt.

• • •

Magnolia skipped over to Gavin. "Hey, Gavin! How's it going?" She greeted. Magnolia had been trying to get Gavin to talk to her all week. Gavin's eyes grew wide and he tried to walk away but Magnolia grabbed his arm. "Look, I don't know why you're avoiding me. Heather told me about your crush on Rachel, and although I think it's gross, I wanna help." She smiled at him.

Gavin gave her a confused look. "What? Rachel?" He asked her. Magnolia nodded making Gavin burst into laughs. "Ew! Never! I don't like her." Magnolia sighed from relief. "No, I like someone else." He laughed nervously.

Magnolia furrowed her eyebrows. "Brittany?" She asked him. "I support that, but she's not good with staying with one person." She laughed a little.

Gavin sighed. "Yeah, Brittany." He smiles briefly and walked away.

Magnolia was confused, he still didn't seem to want to talk to her as much, even though she said she supported his crush.

• • •

They all were taking in Glee Club, when Mr. Schue walks in. "So, any ideas for the mash-up?" He asked them. They all glanced at each other. "Anybody?" Still, nobody said anything. "Oh, come on, guys. It's like you're dating me to start dancing." They all protested.