xiii. sectionals

Magnolia walked into glee club with Mike. The two were arguing over who had the better taste in music. "You only like love songs." Mike told her as they entered the choir room.

Magnolia rolled her eyes. "And they're great!" She argued, as the two sat down.

Mike shook his head as Mr. Schue entered the classroom. "Hey, guys? Let's, uh...let's gather 'round." He instructed. Trailing behind them was Ms. Pilsbury. "Well...I have found my replacement. So, give it up for Ms. Pilsbury." They all clapped, a few seemed a bit upset still.

"She's the one they made me talk to when they found out I was keeping that bird in my locker." Brittany said.

As always, they ignored her comment. "So, do you even know anything about music?" Santana asked her.

Ms. Pilsbury was about to speak but Mr. Schue stepped in for her. "What's important is that she cares about you guys every bit as much as I do." He explained to them. "Now...I-I don't know what the future holds for me...and for us, but I know, Saturday, you're going to make me proud. You guys are gonna be great." He encouraged. "So...good-bye for now." He turned to leave.

"Wait. What about our set list?" Mercedes asked.

Mr. Schue turned back around. "I...I can't help you with that. You've got to figure that out for yourselves." He told them. "All right, guys." He left the choir room, leaving them with Ms. Pilsbury.

Quietly they watched as he left them to figure things out for themselves. "Well, we have to do Proud Mary in wheelchairs. That's in." Artie broke the silence.

"And Don't Stop Believing for sure." Finn added.

"What about the ballad?" Tina asked.

As always, Rachel stepped up. "I would be thrilled to contribute a ballad from my repertoire." She stood up and walked to the front of the choir room.

Mercedes stood up. "Ok, you know what miss bossy pants? Enough." She snapped. "I've worked just as hard as you, and I'm just as good as you. You know, you always end up stealing the spotlight." Mercedes made her way over to Rachel.

"Mercedes, do you honestly think you're as strong of a balladeer as I am?" She asked her.

Mercedes turned to the rest of the glee club with a bewildered look. "Okay, um, Rachel, why don't you let Mercedes give it a try?" Ms. Pilsbury asked.

Rachel nodded. "Thanks, Mrs. P." Mercedes said, still a bit annoyed at Rachel's attitude. Rachel and Ms. Pilsbury went to have a seat. "Do I even have to tell you what song?" Mercedes asked Brad. "Horns, stings, keep up." She ordered.

Mercedes sang And I'm Telling You. It was probably better than anything Rachel had sang all year, and Mercedes clearly gave her all for this song. The whole glee club was blown away by her performance.

"Thoughts?" Mercedes asked as everyone clapped excitedly for her.

Rachel walked up to her, smiling. "It's clear the room adores you." She let out a breathy laugh. "And, although it wouldn't be my first choice, well...I can't wait to see you sing that song at Sectionals." Mercedes gave her a small smile. "You're amazing, Mercedes, and you deserve it. I'm gonna hug you now." She told her. The two hugged as Rachel had said.