❣ 26 ❣

Charissa couldn't sleep that night. She was troubled. The police officer didn't allow her to see Keith that night. She could feel Keith's pain. He discovered that he wasn't Mr Watson's biological son and now, he was in jail.

Poor Keith! Locked up in jail! That's awful. I need to get him out!

She rolled on her bed and chewed her bottom lip. But how? How would she save him? She was sure that he was innocent.

Charissa inhaled and squeezed her eyes shut. She needed to sleep. Tomorrow was going to be a tough day for her.

The next morning, Charissa got dressed and was off to the police station. She ran down the stairs. Her blonde hair bounced on her shoulder. She ran to the door of her father's big mansion and gripped the doorknob.

"Where do you think you are going, Charissa?" her dad's voice cried out.

She paused and glanced at him. He stood at the corridor that led to the dining room. She forced a tight smile and exclaimed, "Good morning, sweet daddy! I just wanted to see a friend!"

"Do you have a friend? Who? Adam?"

Sadly, her father didn't know much about her. He hardly created time for her. He was always busy with his work. Charissa's heart thrummed when he mentioned Adam's name. She frowned and shook her head. "It's not Adam, dad! I don't care about that fool!"

"But you don't have any other friend!" he stated.

"You don't need to remind me how pathetic my life is" she groaned and crossed her arms at her chest.

"Your life is not pathetic. You are just an introvert. It is normal. You don't like to keep friends!" he adjusted his black suit and moved towards her.

"I wish I am an introvert but I am not!" she snarled.

"Eat breakfast with me! I have a guest who will be coming soon!"

"I don't have that time! Don't you have an important meeting to attend?"

"What's wrong? Don't you care about your father?" he queried. "I know I haven't been creating time for you. I am sorry, dear! I still love you".

"I love you too!" she strode to her dad and embraced him. "I just need to go somewhere!"

"Where?"

"To meet a friend?"

"What friend?"

"Aargh!" she facepalmed herself. Dad, why now? I can't tell you Keith Watson is my friend. You will be furious. You might even lock me up in my room. You hate his father.

"Since, you don't have a friend. I can be your friend. Let's eat breakfast!"

"But I have a friend!"

"Male or female?"

"Female!" she lied. "We talk about dresses, make ups and....um...necklaces. She understands me and never discriminate!"

"That's nice! How about you tell me more of that friend?" her dad insisted. "Let's eat!"

He pulled her into the dining room. Breakfast was set. He smiled at her and gestured at the food.

"Dad, you don't understand! I promised my friend that I would meet him...um..her now at her house. Dad, I need to keep my promise or I will lose that friend!"

"Who is more important, me or your friend?"

"Who is more important, me or your business?"

Her father shut his mouth. He looked at her and his lips drew into a thin line.