2

His steps got quicker, the grip on his dog's leash tightened. The steps came closer. A flashlight enlightened the dark way. The dog whimpered. The steps stopped. The flashlight went off. Darkness. Breathing, right next to his ear. The dog barked. Again. Again. The bark was cut off and melted smoothly into a whimper. The leash slipped through his fingers. Quite steps of small paws rushed away.

-------

Dec was woken by an arm wrapped around his torso, warm and gentle. For a few seconds he was tempted to fight himself back to sleep, so give in to the comfortable unconsciousness where nothing really mattered.

But the soft scent of vanilla that still lingered from his wife's perfume, and Ali's original smell pulled him almost violently into reality. Although Dec had to admit that there were definitely worse ways to get woken up.

Eyes still closed in the naive hope to re-gain the sleep, he wrapped his own arms around his wife, wincing at the sudden pain that shot through his back. Ali didn't notice it, she just pulled him closer and for a split second Dec actually thought that they both would go back to sleep again. But this hopes were destroyed as Ali whispered in his ear: "We should get up, darling."

Dec groaned silently but accepted that the sleep was over for now. Mumbling something ununderstandable, he gently pulled away from Ali's hug and fought his eyes open. Sunrays fell through the curtains, painting beautiful patterns onto the bedsheets.

Ali's blonde hair looked like fluid gold, kissed by the sun, and in his still half asleep state Dec had the wonderful feeling of waking up next to an angel. What was not even far from reality.

His eyes got slowly used to the lights and he felt more and more awake with every deep breath he took. Ali's eyes met his and she smiled, happy expression quickly turning into worry as she noticed the dark rings under her husband's eyes.

"Didn't you sleep well last night?", she asked softly, fingertips brushing his skin lightly. Dec smiled. "Couldn't fall asleep", he admitted quietly, "don't know why. Probably stress." Ali nodded, knowing that they were in the middle of organizing the next episode of Takeaway that should be aired in roughly a month.

"How about breakfast then?", she asked, running one hand through Dec's fluffy curls. A good English breakfast was something that could wake up Dec's spirits faster than something else. But to Ali's surprise, Dec shook his head after a moment of consideration. "Not really hungry", he mumbled, eyes turning to the ceiling in an attempt to avoid her glance.

Ali frowned. "Not hungry? How did that happen? You are not coming down with something, are you?" The concern immediately took over; Ali had always felt like looking after Dec and with the years of close relationship this feeling had only increased. But Dec just shook his head. "Don't think so", he replied, but he didn't take his eyes off the ceiling. "I'll probably eat later. I can help you make breakfast though."

This offer, as kind as it was, was turned down politely by his wife. To be honest, Dec hadn't even thought a minute that Ali would accept it - he was helping the most if he stayed away from the kitchen.

For a moment, Dec considered that he could as well stay in bed if he wasn't eating something, but then he thought that he wouldn't fall asleep again either way - so why not getting up immediately?

This plan was easier thought than made. Dec rolled over to his side, pushing himself up, but as soon as he changed his position from lying into half-sitting, a stabbing pain went through his back again. Dec clenched his teeth. Resting for a moment until his body allowed him to slowly sit on the edge of the bed. Dec blew out a sharp breath that Ali didn't miss.

"What's wrong?", she asked, the worry in her voice driving Dec crazy. "Nothing!", he replied a bit too fast and a bit too snappy. He took a deep breath, starting again: "Sorry, pet. It's just my back, I probably twisted something whilst sleeping. I'm sure that'll fade when I'm only up for a few hours."