Bloodline

Subbu and Sash had drawn up a plan. Shravan was returning the next day so they would raid the supposed distribution ghettos from 3am in the morning so people do not know much about the operation and before the news spreads Shravan has already reached Bangalore. There would be two teams, one which would raid the places where consignment is stored while the other would camp at the Malhotra's place and take Devraj and Maria for questioning. Once the technicalities are taken care of both would be brought to NCB headquarters for taking them into custody. They had to take extreme care that the news does not reach media, and nobody reached the spot at least till morning. This time Subbu had roped in senior trusted officers to keep an eye on Emanuel and not depend on the local police to take some action. Knowing the mental state Shravan would be in , Suman was instructed to pick up Shravan from the airport and bring him directly to the bureau so they can explain the situation to him. Shravan would have to be taken off the investigation following protocol as he is directly related to the suspect.

Suman had reached much earlier than the expected arrival of the flight in which Shravan was coming back. Although she was aware that Shravan had chosen such an early morning flight as he wanted to spend some quality time with Suman before heading to work. Her eyes misted how he had planned for the breakfast date the previous day and things had drastically changed overnight. Suman looked at the arrivals display time and again to see them flipping through displaying various cities and their timings as she tried to train her eyes to look for only arrivals from Bhopal. Finally, after traversing the waiting area up and down and clasping and unclasping her intertwined fingers it was time to face the inevitable as Shravan's flight had landed. Soon she saw her Shravan walking towards her in long strides smiling ear to ear although Suman was not sure when she told him the truth would he remain her Shravan anymore. Shravan ran the last few steps quickly and finally leapt to hold Suman in a bone crushing embrace. They had both missed each other terribly. Shravan soaked in the warmth of the soft body in his arms while Suman felt her nerve ends tingling as his masculine woody scent filled her nostrils. She closed her eyes as she pulled Shravan more into her tightly but soon, reality struck and she realized why was she here in the first place. Shravan immediately noticed the fact that Suman was squirming a little in his arms which was a first since they had got together as a couple. Shravan immediately let her go and scanned her face which was now a little pale and her eyes were looking everywhere instead of him. Shravan was now sure that something was terribly wrong, and he folded his arms looking straight at Suman asked "What is wrong Suman? Something happened, are you angry with me". Suman nodded her head subtly and said "Its just that Sash and Subbu have something urgent to discuss and they want you us to go directly first to the bureau. I am sorry we cannot stop by breakfast and I need to drive you to the bureau and then I will drop you back". Shravan gave a sarcastic smile and said "Suman, you are a fantastic cop but when it comes lying to people close to you, you really suck at it. But I get it there is something that you cannot talk about now. Fine, when there is nothing to talk let's get going". The icy tone that Shravan had when he spoke sent a shiver down Suman's fine, there was fear, a fear of losing Shravan at the cost of her duty and protocol.

The rest of the journey back to the office was silent and this time the silence was deafening as if they were distances apart. Both stole glances at each other when they thought the other was not looking and a myriad of questions floated between the silences as they drove on. An hour later Suvan were seated with Subbu and Sash and without any preamble Sash started explaining the progress in the investigation and then finally revealing to Shravan that his father, Devraj Malhotra was the primary suspect now. As they currently talk, the team is raiding various hideouts and looking for evidence. They have already found some Daavi masala packets in one of the restobars which were concealed within false impaneled walls. Shravan had not spoken a word since Sash and Subbu had started explaining him the scenario and his face had remained stoic throughout. Subbu finally mentioned that as per protocol he would have to be taken off the case and he would have to hand over his details to another official who will be identified shortly. Shravan looked up at the last statement but still did not speak a word and Suman observed a muscle twitch along his jaw, but he did not react. When the discussion was over Shravan walked out straight as if nothing had happened inside while Suman stood observing him. Sash patted Suman's back asking her to take care of Shravan and mention to him that he will be put in another case if not this because he is a fine officer. Suman had been searching for Shravan for the past half an hour and finally could locate him in the park which had been always her hideout when she felt low. She rushed to him but looking at his stiff posture as he seemed looking into oblivion, she was not sure if it was right time to approach Shravan. Suman placed a hand on his shoulders and Shravan jumped and shrugged her hand off and almost shouted "Stay away from me Officer. I can manage myself, I don't need anyone around. Of all people I thought you were mine, you trust me and you had known about his for such a long time and you chose to hide it from me. You thought I would step in the way of justice to save my father. You make me feel disgusted". Suman looked shocked as tears started flowing down her cheeks and she haltingly said "Shravan I did not know earlier and you know I was doing my job, I still love you and trust you" Suman continued but she noticed that Shravan was walking past her as if she had not said anything. Suman broke down thinking everything was lost, and nothing can fix this mess now.