"take out your wand", snape commanded, due to bellatrix's constant pestering. though bellatrix might've seemed mad, she had a way of pushing people's buttons.

"will you, severus snape, watch over draco malfoy and evelyn gardener as they attempt to fulfill the dark lord's wishes?", bellatrix whispered.

both snape and narcissa's hands were held together, slightly above the wrist. crossed lines of golden power connected them, forming the unbreakable vow.

"and will you, to the best of your ability, protect them from harm? and, if draco should fail, will you yourself carry out the deed, that the dark lord had ordered draco to perform?"

"I will".

—✼—

evelyn felt much displeasure as the death eaters and voldemort himself had met in the basement of the malfoy manor.

the girl has been receiving letters from multiple of her former friends, especially hagrid. poor hagrid didn't know where the girl was or who she was with.

evelyn wanted to desperately reply. but she couldn't risk it. she mustn't reply to any letters, as it may portray her as the spy if she were to do so.

thus every night, evelyn read the letters from hermione, ron, harry, hagrid, and luna before tossing them into the fiery flames. she watched as they burned to a crisp; the wax seal on the envelopes slowly melted to nothing.

"evelyn?", draco asked.

"yes dray?"

ever since the end of their fifth-year, evelyn had moved into the malfoy manor. though the girl's emotions resembled that of the dark and eerie mansion, she wore bright colored dresses everyday to try and brighten up the mood.

"you look unwell", draco said as he kneeled before evelyn, who comfortably sat beside the fireplace on one of his wing-chairs.

draco's hands slipped into evelyn's, making the girl smile.

she then let out a dry chuckle.

"how charming you are", evelyn whispered.

"you know I—"

"I know what you meant love. no need to explain. I was just playing", evelyn smiled.

she slipped one of her hands out of draco's grip and placed it on his cheek, gently caressing it. her once brilliant amber eyes now held such sorrow and pity.

but the girl had no one to blame, as she picked to be here with him on her own will.

"I'm sorry...", draco mumbled, his voice on the verge of cracking.

for the first time ever, draco malfoy was sorry. he had felt the guilt seeping into him for bringing his lover into this. he should of let her go before it all happened.

evelyn slowly shook her head and gave a ghost of a smile.

"don't be silly dray. we promised to hide no more secrets from each other. and I can't promise to fix all your problems, but I can promise that you won't have to face them alone", evelyn muttered out.