24 - Problem Solved

Start from the beginning

“What?” I whisper at him.

His eyes dart up at the kitchen but then he leans forward. “Get rid of her!”

What? How am I getting rid of her from down here? “What on earth are you talking about?” I rasp back.

“Just tell her to go home or something! She can’t be here any more, because I can totally guess that once you get out of the basement she’ll call your parents. Or she’ll do it now! So make her go home!” His voice is so quiet I barely heard him, but I got the gist of what he was saying. And it made perfect sense.

Damn. He is kind of smart. Idiot…

On cue, Mrs.O’Heimer comes back to the doorway. “Clarisse, where’s your phone? I’ll call someone to get you out of there…”

Sebastian was fucking right! “No! No I’m fine Mrs.O’Heimer, don’t worry about anything. Really. I’m fine. This has happened before…haha. That’s why the carpet pile is right here! It’s no biggy! Really!! I am totally completelyyy finnee. No problemos down here…” From the corner of my eye I could see Sebastian face-palm. Maybe I’m laying it on too thick…

“Oh…ok…” Mrs.O’Heimer says, sounding uncertain and frankly a little confused. All well. I’d prefer her confused to skeptical. “So you have a way out?”

“Yup!” No. I feel a zing of panic as I realize that I may be trapped down here with Sebastian. Oh god…It’s probably like one or two o’clock now, and my parents said they won’t be here til six…practically five hours down here in this, dark, dusty cold basement…with Sebastian…

And then my parents come home and I somehow have to explain my situation…

Mrs.O’Heimer and I stand there for an awkward five and half seconds until I decide that action must me taken. “Soo…you may leave…Not that I don’t appreciate the concern or anything, its just that I’ll be fine and I may be down here a while…attending to my…cats. And you probably have tons of other stuff to do and yea…”

She seems to shake herself. “Well…yes. I suppose…” She begins turning from the doorway and I suppress the urge to punch the air triumphantly.  Then she stops and I’m glad I’d had control. “Are you sure you don’t need any help?”

“No no no no nooooo, I am completely fiinneee. You go back to your house and do whatever you need to do. I’ve got to…um…feed…Nibbles and Frizzle– ah I mean Friskey…”

I can’t see her expression since her back is too the light, so I can’t tell if she’s scrutinizing me after I flubbed up on the cat name. She is very still for two more seconds before she starts shuffling away. “Alright Clarisse. I’ll call you in an hour to make sure you’re ok. If you don’t answer the phone I’m going to assume you’re still trapped down here and I will call the fire department...”

Her muttering becomes quieter and quieter until I hear the front door open and shut. Then silence. I stand still for another ten seconds.

“Whew!”

I nearly jump out of my skin at Sebastian’s loud exhalation. He comes out from beneath the stair case and shakes some dust from his hair. “That was close.”

“No shit…” I mutter, wiping some sweat and dirt from my forehead. Ew. I brush my hand onto my shirt. “That was way more trouble that it was worth.”

“You should have just slammed the door shut in her face when she first got here.”

I sigh aggravatedly. “I know…”

He steps out into the shaft of light thrown down from the kitchen and I’m hit by his appearance. He looks filthy, a thin layer of dust over his hair and broad shoulders. He’s brushing more from his sculpted abdominals. He’s only wearing a pair of red boxers.