24 - Problem Solved

Chapter 24: Problem Solved

“Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!”

The time it took us to get from the doorway to the basement floor was shorter than my scream, but I screamed anyway. We(more like Sebastian) hit the floor with a dull thump and a cloud of dust came up from the pile of dusty carpet we fell on. He let out an ‘oof!’ and I yelped when he lost his footing half a second after we landed.  

We flopped back onto the yucky carpet with another cloud of dust.

“Oh…shit…” Sebastian mutters, his arms still very much around me and still very tight. Adrenaline is pumping through my system almost faster than my heart’s pumping blood. I squirm in his grasp but he doesn’t seem to notice.

Why in the hell did he just jump in the basement? More importantly, why the HELL did he TAKE ME WITH HIM?!

These thoughts are raging around in my head but I’m still too stunned to really speak. I want to get away from this crazy bastard!! But for some reason he won’t let go! The dust is invading my nose and I can feel that my glasses are hanging half from my face. Its dark down here and the carpet is scratching my arms.

“Ugh…” Sebastian grunts, suddenly sitting up. With me still held into his chest. I’m practically sitting in his lap and I can feel my face heating up. Oh man oh man oh man…

Just as he looks down at me and just as I’m about to start ripping into his ass Mrs.O’Heimer’s screech blasts down.

Clarisse?!” Followed by the faint thud of panicked footsteps.

Sebastian suddenly drops me and rolls off the pile of carpet, standing up and immediately looking for a place to hide. He dashes beneath what’s left of the stairs, and then I realize that I’m gonna have to try and explain what happened to me to Mrs.O’Heimer. When I don’t even know!

I look up to the open door; a shaft of light is pouring down and catching my face in its beam. I’m sitting right under the middle of the ‘bite’ in the staircase. Dust motes are stilling floating around. Then the light is suddenly blotted out and I can see Mrs.O’Heimer’s shape in the doorway.

“Clarisse! Are you alright?!”

Whoa whoa whoa! Did she just ask if I’m alright? Dang, maybe there is a heart under all that bitchiness…

“Y-” My throat catches for some reason and I cough. Ugh. Probably the dust. Or maybe the Bloody Mary scream. Then I continue. “Yeah. I’m fine.”

Her shadow silhouette leans forward a little, like she’s trying to see. “Are you hurt at all? We’ll have to get you out of there…what on earth happened?”

Whoa. Confusion. She’s being so…nice and concerned. Crap! I don’t know how to react to this!! Um… “No, I’m not hurt. I’m fine… I…” Oh crap, what the fudge to say, that my cats suddenly grabbed me and dove into my basement?

“I just slipped,” I want slap myself right now.

There’s silence and I’m waiting for her to notice Sebastian right under the stairs. I’m sure if she leaned forward a little more she would see him. “Alright…you’re sure you’re not hurt?”

“I’m sure,”

Her shape shifts in the doorway, like she’s very undecided and uncertain about something. “Ok. Good. Now…we’re going to have to find a way to get you out of there…Are the stairs useable?”

I’m just barely hiding my shocked gape. She’s so concerned about me! And she’s trying to help me! What the fudge?! Mrs.O’Heimer steps back from the doorway and I can see her looking around the kitchen. I sneak a glance at Sebastian. He’s shaking his head at me. He’s trying to mouth stuff at me again, but that shouldn’t even dare happen again because it takes my mind to a totally different place. A naughty place…