I'll Meet You Halfway✨

Jacksons Era

Anonymously requested. Hope you enjoy! 

"I thought we could get Philly cheesesteaks but that could be too cheesy, don't ya think?"

Your boyfriend nods uninterestedly, skillfully picking an edamame bean out of his bowl with the wooden chopsticks, his voluminous afro swaying along with him.

You frown, jealous of his flawless handling of the utensils, having mastered the skill in Japan, and annoyed by his deliberate silence.

"Get it? 'Cause you're in Philly and it's cheesesteaks-"

The doe ebony eyes meet yours, a glimmer of annoyance present under the long eyelashes.

"Yeah, yeah I get it, Y/N. The joke stopped being funny after about a day of being here,"

Taken aback by his mood you poke your own chopstick into a piece of orange chicken, a deep sigh escaping you. If you'd been sitting across from each other sharing Chinese months ago, things would be different- the atmosphere undoubtedly much lighter. He'd make fun of your inability to use chopsticks, flick the vegetables he didn't want on his plate onto yours, and flash that gorgeous smile of his to let you know he was enjoying your company.

But that was then. This was now.

For the past three years, you'd been dating child star and vocal prodigy Michael Jackson. What started out as a childhood friendship had developed into puppy love and had blossomed into a teenage romance.

With each passing year, you'd grown to love Michael more and you could envision a long future with him. But those dreams had been interrupted as the two of you began to venture into different life paths.

Just the past summer you'd both graduated from high school. You were interested in law and had decided to leave California to attend college in Washington DC much to what you were slowly beginning to realize was the doom of your relationship.

Michael had no plans for college and had planned to stick to what he knew best: music. D.C was on the other side of the country and you and Michael had never been separated on such a permanent basis but you wanted to fulfill your dreams. You did and everything changed. Your relationship was simply not the same. There was no more driving to Havenhurst when you missed Michael, no doing homework by the pool or watching Fred Astaire films on Saturday nights, and no late-night phone calls.

You were both becoming adults and realizing how difficult it was to juggle life responsibilities and a relationship.

"You're mad at me," you announce plainly, dragging the heavily sauced chicken on your plate.

Michael's eyes meet your gaze, his expression softening for a brief second before going back to poking at his food.

"It's not that it's just- You can't just come here uninvited. We're with a different label now. It's not Motown anymore. We have to take ourselves seriously,"

Michael and his brothers had recently left Motown, the label that had discovered them, for a chance to branch out on their own as independent artists with Epic. The label change had cost them a lawsuit and a band member but the brothers were determined to make the best of it.

They were currently in Philadelphia recording their first album as the rebirthed Jacksons and since the distance was much shorter than that of California, you took the opportunity to meet your boyfriend halfway after not seeing each other face to face for months.

You frown, suddenly growing agitated at his ungratefulness.

"I thought you'd be happy to see me, Mike,"