Delicate✨

Thriller Era

"I thought we were being careful," your voice shakes as you pinch the telephone cord. "but I guess we weren't. How could this happen?"

"It can happen, Y/N. It's nobody's fault."

The soft voice on the other end does only a little to soothe your woes. You wipe a hot tear from your face with the sleeve of your bathrobe, a lump of tears and disappointment stuck in your throat. The pink stick stared mockingly at you on your nightstand.

You'd been moved to a fit of tears and disbelief after finding out you were pregnant. You somehow felt betrayed. Surely this happened to other girls but not to you.

You were not ready to be a mother. You were still quite young, had plans to attend nursing school, a career to build and a life to settle into before you could even think of bringing a baby into the world.

Little did you know that life doesn't always wait until you're ready for things.

"I don't know what I'm gonna do, Mike," you sighed. "A baby is the last thing I need right now. My parents will be so disappointed. And Dennis."

Your first instinct had been to call your friend Michael after receiving the news. He was the only person you felt would listen to you and provide calm, constructive advice in your time of need.

You and Michael had not been friends for the longest time, but you were very close. Michael was very famous, child prodigy and former lead singer of the Jackson 5 turned solo sensation, but somehow that didn't stop the two of you from bonding. He was down to earth, kind and fun to be with. Your friendship had been as simple and easy as two kids next door.

"Children are so special, Y/N." Michael assures you, excitement in his voice as he speaks. "I have no doubt you would be able to love it."

You sigh.

"Not everyone's as good with kids as you are. I think I have zero maternal instinct. And Dennis doesn't even like kids."

You suddenly realize the weight of your words. Your boyfriend would certainly have no interest in helping you raise a baby.

You were doomed.

The other end of the line has gone silent and you're not sure if you've lost your connection until Michael speaks.

"Don't think about it that way," he sighs. "Maybe he's changed his mind. Maybe you're the woman to change him."

You feel your eyes brimming with fresh tears, devastated by the realization. You appreciated Michael's optimism, but you weren't so hopeful.

"I hope so," you whisper. "This will work out, Michael. I'll find a way."

"Promise me you won't do anything rash, okay?"

You bite down hard on your bottom lip.

"I promise." You reply.

"Good," he answers, sounding relieved. "Listen, I've got a shoot in the morning and I'm sure you're exhausted. I wish I was there to tuck you in, girl."

The corner of your lip twitches into a subtle smile.

"You're the one who needs tucking in," you laugh. "you hardly ever sleep."

"An hour of sleep is an hour I could be working on my craft." He responds.

You roll your eyes.

"Workaholic. Go to bed, Michael."

He giggles.

"Sweet dreams to you too, honey. "

You put down the receiver with a sigh and hug a pillow to your chest, a wave of loneliness and anxiety settling in. Talking to Michael had eased your troubles for but a moment. There was still a baby growing in your womb and so much left to figure out.