I'll Meet You Halfway✨

Start from the beginning

He sighs.

"I am but you should have called. We coulda arranged something. How do you expect us to spend time together if I'm supposed to be working?"

You knew Michael was serious about his work and always prided himself in being professional but you expected him to at least make an exception for you. His fame had never hindered your relationship before.

"I don't know, Michael, you make it work? I missed a day of classes to ride a bus here to see you. The least you can do is be happy," you huff, folding your arms across your chest "I'm always the one going out of my way to contact you when I'm just as busy as you are,"

Michael tosses his chopsticks in his bowl, finally meeting your gaze.

"That's not true and you know it, Y/N, " he speaks firmly. "I wanted to visit you last month but you bailed at the last minute cause you had that stupid sorority party to go to,"

A pang of guilt strikes you. So maybe you'd told a white lie. Since you'd left at the end of the summer, Michael had tried keeping up with you but you were always busy with Freshman interest activities, study hall, or football games.

"It wasn't a party. I just- you just didn't want you coming to campus and getting mobbed. And I have friends, I don't want them to make a big deal-"

Michael kinks a full brow, snatching up his bucket hat and jacket as he pushes himself from the table.

"So then you get my point,"

Your angry boyfriend tosses a couple of dollar bills in front of his unfinished dinner and you groan as you follow him outside the restaurant, unable to keep up with the stride of his long legs.

"Mike, where are you going?" You huff, watching him lean against the payphone booth.

"Back to the hotel," he snaps, rummaging through his pockets for spare change. "We've got a session first thing in the morning. I'm calling you a car to take you anywhere you wanna go,"

Your eyebrows furrow into confusion, a lump of premature tears and sadness forming in your throat. Why was he being so cold?

"But I thought I could stay with you?" You ask, hopeful.

When he was traveling and you happened to visit, Michael didn't mind if you crashed in the hotel with his brothers. The two of you barely had any privacy but it was always fun.

Michael sighs, not bothering to look at you as he inserts a quarter in the machine.

"I think we should spend some time apart, Y/N. Ya know, just for good measure,"

You bite down on your bottom lip to keep it from trembling.

"Michael, I didn't come here to fight," you sigh.

"Too late," Michael scoffs. "We already have. I don't know, Y/N. It's like we're drifting apart,"

You sigh, pulling your jacket tighter around you.

"Distance can do that,"

He shakes his head.

"It's not that just that. You're a college girl now. You've got a whole new set of friends and a whole new life and I just don't fit into that,"

You stare at your boyfriend, a sad expression settling on his face. You hadn't even realized how Michael felt.

"Michael, I never knew you felt that way," you sigh.

Michael sighs, pinching his bottom lip.

"I mean, it's only a matter of time before you go off and find some Joe College dude that's better than me. I've got enough going on right now- Jermaine leaving, this stupid Variety Show we've gotta do. Everything feels like it's fallin' apart. Especially us. Might as well end it,"