Chapter 44

The dust lifted, Chizuko lost all of her senses at that moment, she couldn't hear anything.

Rage, fury, grieve, regret were like scissors, snipping off every string of reasoning and ration she had.

She wanted to scream, but it was as if she had forgotten how to use her vocal cords, and her brain couldn't produce any organised speech.

Sheer anger erupted in Chizuko like a volcano that had slept for centuries. Before she knew it, she was already free of Inosuke's hold, her legs brought her darting straight for Kyojuro and Akaza.

Stab. Chizuko buried her chipped katana into Akaza's neck with all the strength she could muster. She had never once felt such overwhelming hatred, not when facing the former Lower Moon Two, not when facing the former Lower Moon One, not even when facing Kibutsuji Muzan himself.

"You did wonderful!" Kyojuro smiled, ruffling Chizuko's hair. Tears rolled in Chizuko's eyes, sunlight had shone in through the cracks, Chizuko's heart was no longer empty and dark.

Chizuko didn't dare to lift her head, she knew she would collapse upon laying eyes on Kyojuro. Chizuko gritted her teeth, her legs were giving away, she wasn't able to stand next to Akaza for any longer.

"Young Suzuki!" Chizuko opened the gates, revealing a beaming Kyojuro with an aura that rivalled the sun, "Congratulations on passing the Final Selection!"

"R-Rengoku-sama!?" Chizuko wasn't expecting to see him, she was even more surprised when he handed her a big box of delicately wrapped mochi. Chizuko opened her mouth to thank him, but she was at a loss of words, and tears flowed out instead.

"You did a good job! Be proud of yourself!" Kyojuro petted Chizuko's head, "As I said before, I look forward to going on missions with you!"

Akaza's blood splattered across Chizuko's face, but a big part of his neck was still intact, it was useless.

"R-Rengoku-sama! It's totally fine! I can w-walk by myself," Chizuko was a stuttering mess, "I-It's just a twisted ankle!"

"Nonsense!" Kyojuro was carrying Chizuko on his back, "We can arrive at the butterfly mansion sooner to get you treated!"

"B-But Rengoku-sama... Your shoulder is hurt...!" Chizuko felt bad for burdening Kyojuro, "I-It's fine to put me down, really, I-"

"It is my job to look after junior members!" Kyojuro smiled, "Besides, it's just like carrying Senjuro! You are like a little sister to me!"

Chizuko's legs buckled, she fell to her knees. Don't let go, Chizuko refused to release the hilt of her katana.

"Ready?" Kyojuro and Chizuko were standing at the doorsteps of a wisteria house, the pair had both forgotten to bring an umbrella. Chizuko nodded, "Hai! Rengoku-sama!"

"Three... Two... One... Go!" Kyojuro lifted his cape, using it as their umbrella.

Chizuko was fairly dry, but she could see that Kyojuro's entire back was drenched when she glanced backwards.

Sunlight illuminated the mountains, treetops had train, keep going! Chizuko let out a sob, blood was dripping from the corners of her mouth, keep going!

"Let's work hard as hashira together!" Kyojuro was ruffling Chizuko's hair as usual, his smile ever so bright, ever so blinding, "With our blazing hearts and passion of course!"

"Hai! Rengoku-sama!" Chizuko giggled, there was always a big brother she could rely on.

Akaza's glared at the two hashira, part of him was surprised by how they still had the energy to nail him in place, especially Kyojuro whom his fist impaled. On the other hand, a bigger part of him was drowning in fear. The sun is rising. The dawn is breaking. Droplets of sweat rolled off his forehead, how long was it since he last experienced this emotion?