Chapter 9

Chizuko raced down the stars as lightly and she could.

She had recovered a week ago ago, thanks to many people's efforts. Though Obanai wanted her to train from the crack of dawn, she decided to keep her promise of making Muichiro and Obanai breakfast every morning.

What does Iguro-san like to eat? Honestly, she knew nothing about the man. Despite living under the same roof, Obanai preferred to keep to himself. His room was at the leftmost while hers was at the rightmost, he would snap if she had forgotten to knock, and he never had a single meal on the same table with her.

Honestly, many things between them got off the wrong foot. For starters, the first day of training was truly terrible. Obanai could pick out a dozen mistakes in a simple posture, and the task was made even more treacherous since she was left handed. "Wrong, do it again." "Grip your katana harder, even a piece of tofu is more durable than you." "A hundred pushups, then five laps around the estate, now go." He would give her his infamous death glare.

Even when she finally got it right, there were no kind words from Obanai. He would roll his eyes instead, "Took you long enough to learn such a simple thing. Don't get too full of yourself, Suzuki. Now move on to the next move." She wanted a rest, every nerve in her body was screaming in agony. But of course, as if he could read her mind, Obanai pointed at her, "No break, no lunch until you get everything right."

She finally couldn't take it at around four and broke down in sobs. "Stand up, no student of mine throw tantrums like babies. Don't tell me that you are not only pathetically incapable, but also lacking of endurance and focus." Obanai accused in a monotonous voice, "I assume hard work can make up for talent, but it looks like you have neither."

And she sure remembered the first time she cooked for Obanai. She was left at the dojo because of her 'meaningless crying'. She felt guilty for annoying Obanai so she wanted to cook dinner for him, though her muscles ached. Unfortunately, it ended with Obanai losing control of his bitter temper again, "If you had so much time cooking, you should have trained. And I don't fancy eating with others, especially some weakling like you." And with that he left the dining room slamming the door.

Tears welled in Chizuko's eyes, she quickly wiped them away. Iguro-sama must not see me crying. She sliced the daikon, diced some tofu and chopped some kombu. She walked over to the stove, placing the ingredients and a spoon full of miso into the boiling pot of water, maybe he really doesn't want a student. Chizuko then beat the eggs, I hope I won't disappoint him again today.

A certain white snake attached itself to her shoulders, nuzzling her chin. "Ohayo! Kaburamaru-kun!" Chizuko giggled at the ticklish sensation, "Did you have a good sleep?" Unlike Obanai, Kaburamaru grew close to Chizuko. Perhaps it was because he wanted to compensate for Obanai's unapproachable demeanour. "I made miso soup today, want to try?" Chizuko placed some in another spoon for Kaburamaru. Kaburamaru happily taste tested for Chizuko, licking the corners of his mouth. Let's say food improved a lot since Chizuko came. "I'm glad you like it," Chizuko petted Kaburamaru.

Chizuko peered at the clock, "Ehhh!!? It's six already!? I have to go to Muichiro-kun now!" she gently placed Kaburamaru on the table, "See you later, Kaburamaru-kun!"

Obanai's eyes followed the girl as she dashed out of the estate. Tch, she would rather spend time on cooking and visiting her 'friend' instead of working hard. Though little did he know, Chizuko trained until midnight every night in the dojo. He had either been out for patrol or missions to have missed that. Anyway, having a student was more troublesome than Obanai had imagined, and he had already been expecting for worse. To add on to simple minded, she is left handed, and whiny, Obanai complained to himself silently, which makes teaching her even more difficult.

He planned to get rid of her as soon as possible. His goal was to spend one year training her so she would be fit for the final selection. Then as his tsuguko, he could order her to go on as many missions as possible in a year until she would rank as a hashira. It would take at least two years, but two weeks was already driving him to his limits. Obanai believed in his plan though, he just needed some extra patience.

************************************************
Muichiro stared at Chizuko's dark circles under her eyes, what is that? It grew bigger than yesterday. He then saw more bruises and blisters on her arms and palms, what is going on?

"Muichiro-kun?" Chizuko called, he stopped eating again, "Hello? Muichiro-kun? Muichiro-kun!" she poked his cheek, and poked some more, wow, Muichiro-kun has nicer skin than me. Muichiro snapped out of his thoughts, he looked at Chizuko for a bit before imitating her. Chizuko bursted our in laughter, "Pfff... You are so adorable! Muichiro-kun!"

The corners of Muichiro'a mouth tilted upwards, strange, he wants to smile with her for no reason.

He secretly wished mornings like this could last for every day in his life.

************************************************
"Chizuko-chan, have you been sleeping properly?" Shinobu glanced at Chizuko. She noticed her fatigued form and tired eyes.

"Of course I have! You don't have to worry for me, Shinobu-san!" Chizuko tried to sound confident, but she was a really bad liar, "Is it like this?" she finished bandaging the dummy with a broken bone.

Shinobu checked the dummy and nodded in satisfaction, "Yes, you are a quick learner, Chizuko-chan." Chizuko shook her head, "I... I don't mean to offend you, Shinobu-san. But I'm definitely not. I... I am often so careless and slow in training."

Chizuko is shy, but she never denied my encouragements, Shinobu frowned internally. She could tell something was wrong with how Iguro was treating Chizuko. Suppressing her bubbling anger, Shinobu patted Chizuko's shoulder. She didn't know what to say, but she wanted Chizuko to know she was there for her.

Chizuko didn't realise she was crying until Shinobu held her in her arms tightly. "S-Sorry, Shinobu-san," she forced out between sobs. "It's okay," Shinobu whispered.