Chapter 28

Chizuko and Noboru couldn't believe their eyes as dozens of bloodied people were heaved in.

"Doctor! Over here please!" "Help! My arm got cut off!" "Somebody help! My son and daughter's skin won't stop burning!" Panicked shouts and muffled screams came from everywhere. Noboru directed people waiting outside to the empty spaces while Chizuko ran around with water, bandages and medicine.

What in the world is going on? Chizuko thought as she secured a child's broken arm.

************************************************
Several trembling demons were prostrated on the floor.

"We didn't come all the way here for nothing, did we? Nakime?" A man with a white fedora seethed, his simmering glare lowered to the figures before him.

Clutching her biwa, Nakime nodded to Muzan's words.

"Pathetic."

Only pools of blood were left where the demons knelt.

************************************************
"Oi! Keep quiet!" Yushiro tried to shush the bawling child in his arms, they were going to be found if she kept crying. If it weren't for Tamayo's request, he would pretty much preferred to leave the girl alone.

Sweat formed on Yushiro's palms, and he felt as if someone hit a gong next to his ears nonstop. It wasn't because of the child though.

But because of the presence of a particular demon.

Yushiro gripped Tamayo's arm with his free hand, it was up to him to protect the most important person in his life.

"Fox breathing, Third form, Genko, Hokuto Shichisei!" a familiar figure darted between the scorched buildings.

Yushiro choked, that girl wasn't a stalker.

She is a demon slayer.

Which meant their trouble was doubled.

************************************************
With one last punch, Chizuko opened an exit for the survivors trapped in the debris. She didn't dare to use her sword, in fear of accidentally stabbing someone down there. Suppressing a groan, Chizuko extended her bloodied hands to the two men and women.

Uneasiness crawled in Chizuko's stomach, Noboru had insisted on tagging along to search for Sota himself, even if she reassured him she'd try her best to look for Sota. Based on the fact that they still couldn't find Sota, Chizuko didn't know how to break it to Noboru, it was either that Sota died, or that Sota was the demon.

Chizuko halted, her breath hitched. Ear curdling screams came from the writhing person on the floor, accompanied by strange munching and crunching noises from a grey figure. Veins popped from Chizuko's forehead, her grasp on the hilt of her sword tightened. Bending her knees, Chizuko was like a flattened spring, ready to pounce at the right moment. Just a little closer.

"S-Sota! Wh-What are you doing!!?"

The broken voice behind Chizuko confirmed her worse assumptions.

Why do things have to end up like this?

Chizuko gritted her teeth, she had to make a
choice now.

But how?

Chizuko peered at the eggshells stuck in Sanemi's hair, should she help him pick them out? She thought he'd snap, but much to her surprise he didn't. Only their footsteps were heard on the way, Chizuko didn't know what to say, and wasn't in the mood to speak. A storm of emotions waged in her head, she wasn't sure what she should feel.