Chapter 5

"Tokito-san? I have brought someone with me today," Amane stepped into the room and knelt beside the futon, gesturing for Chizuko to come.

Someone? Muichiro thought under the blankets. Who is it? But it isn't important, I would forget about it anyways. However, he felt a tinge of curiosity, what is this feeling? He decided to take a peek.

Mint green eyes met eyes of pale blue and lavender. The morning sun had set Chizuko's fiery hair ablaze, her illuminated pale skin was almost glowing. Muichiro's gaze was fixated on her face, her bangs framed her cheeks perfectly, and she had freckles just below her mismatched eyes. And her smile, it reminded him of someone, who was it? But that didn't matter right now, his breath seemed to stop, who is she?

"O-Ohayo! Tokito-san! I am Suzuki Chizuko!" Chizuko broke the silence, "I... I brought you food! My friend and I made it," she proceeded to open the basket, "It's nothing much, here are some rice, miso, eggs and fish. Oh and here's a cookie! We were baking yesterday and I thought you'd like to try!" Chizuko jabbered, placing the food on the small wooden table over Muichiro.

Muichiro sat, it was the first time in months he had the motivation to do something. He placed an egg roll into his mouth, it was just right, warm and light. "How is it?" Chizuko asked, did Tokito-san like it? Muichiro nodded, he ate and ate. Chizuko let out a relieved breath, I guess Tokito-san liked it.

"Tokito-san, this is a cookie! It was fun mixing and rolling the dough with everyone! We had flour all over our faces! And we have those metal cookie cutters to make butterfly shaped cookies! Does it look like a butterfly to you?" Chizuko babbled on while Muichiro munched on the cookies silently. Amane looked at the two, a small smile crept up her lips. It was the first time Tokito-san finished a meal.

************************************************
"Chizuko-chan! Who is this mysterious kid?" Hina's eyes shone with interest. Ichika slapped Hina on the head lightly, "Hina-chan! It's not good to probe into others' business!" Chizuko waved it off, "It's okay! I don't know her name, but Amane-sama called her Tokito-san! She has such beautiful hair that'll make all girls jealous," Chizuko remembered the glossy raven black hair with mint green ends, "she doesn't talk much though. I hope I can hear her voice soon!"

After that day, Chizuko would visit Muichiro every morning.

Muichiro tried his best to remember Chizuko's name, it took him four days. Somehow, he didn't want to forget about her. He made sure her auburn hair stood out in his haze of memories. Other than clouds and stars, Chizuko seemed to be next favourite thing Muichiro would not grow bored gazing at.

"You know? Tokito-san? There was this time that Hina-chan saw a handsome member in the hospital and decided to make him porridge, but she got so preoccupied talking about him to me and Aoi-chan she accidentally put sugar as salt! Then... how to put it... It certainly didn't end so well, I heard from Kiyo-chan that he ended up vomiting in the bathroom."

"Tokito-san! Ichika-chan taught me how to fold origami! This is a fox I folded! And this is a cat, and this is a crane! Just like my name! And Ichika-chan told me that a thousand paper cranes could bring you one wish! Do you have anything to wish for?"

"Tokito-san, you have to finish your vegetables, Shinobu-san said vegetables are good for your health."

"Tokito-san! Try this dango! Aoi-chan taught me how to make it yesterday! Is it good? Aoi-chan is so amazing, she can cook anything! And she does chores so much quicker than me and Kanao-chan, we can never catch up to her."

"Kanao-chan blew bubbles with us again yesterday. You should come and play with us! Tokito-san! I bet you'll love everyone at the butterfly mansion! And I can show off your hair to them, they don't believe that you have beautiful hair."

Muichiro listened to how Chizuko would tell him how her day went, like the funny things that happened between she and her sisters at the butterfly mansion, the stories from Naho, Sumi and Kiyo's books, the legends of fox deities her grandma once told her. Muichiro wasn't a big fan of chatter, he thought it was noise. But not Chizuko, he liked how her voice brightened his day.

It wasn't until two weeks later Chizuko noticed her mistake.

"Tokito-san, ohayo," Chizuko entered with breakfast as usual, "did you sleep well? You won't believe what dream I had last night. I dreamed of a mochi mountain! And there were caramel trees and giant pan boulders and-" "Muichiro," Muichiro cut in all of a sudden, "call me Muichiro."

Chizuko felt as if she were ran over by a carriage, Tokito-san is a boy!? B-but the hair..! A-and... And...! But it was true that he never told me he wasn't a girl! It was all my fault! I thought he was a girl for two whole weeks! What should I do?! Alright, just act like nothing had happened! He talked to you for the first time! Think of something to keep him talking!

"M-Muichiro-kun," Chizuko greeted, "How do you feel today?" "Fine." Eh? That's it? Ah! Think of something else! "The weather is nice today, right?" "Yea." Think of something more! What to say what to say?

"Let's have a walk outside," Muichiro blurted out. Muichiro knew he wasn't supposed to be outside, but it wouldn't hurt if no one found out. "Sure!" Chizuko stood, holding out her hand for him, "Let's go!"

The two stopped by the pond. Muichiro stared up at the clouds, what shape were they before? Chizuko sat beside him. What to say now? He seemed interested in clouds, but I know nothing about clouds!

"Ne, Muichiro-kun, you like watching clouds?" Muichiro nodded. "Oh, that cloud looks like a kitten! And that looks like an apple! Ah! That looks like a fox! My favourite animal are foxes!" Chizuko pointed. Muichiro made a mental note of that, her favourite were foxes.

A flock of crows caught their attention. These crows are everywhere, both Shinobu-san and Shinazugawa-san have one, do all demon slayers have one? A gasp escaped from her mouth, one of them was blind in one eye. Why is it blind?

"Good morning, my children." A soothing voice flowed into Chizuko's ears, a man in black kimono and white haori appeared behind them. So gentle, Chizuko thought of her late grandma. Grandma used to have a gentle voice too. She hadn't heard such a voice since her grandma's death, Shinobu had a gentle voice, but there was pain and hurt. Ichika and Kanao were also gentle, but like Shinobu, their voices veiled their true feelings. But this man before them, as if his voice were a lullaby, held nothing but calmness and gentleness.

Who is he?

*************************************************
A/N : 👋🏻 Hi, thanks for reading so far
I know the story is going slowly but please bear with me
Feel free to comment :)