Part 24

My heels click against the light marble floor as I walk into the building, which I love and hate at the same time. Don't get me wrong, I love my job and I really enjoy it, but some of my stuck-up colleagues just make my everyday life here difficult. There are only a few people here in the office that I really like and they are the ones I love to work with.

When I was first hired here, I was so excited on my first day because the company is not quite the smallest in its field and I was so happy and proud of myself that I was accepted. Although I didn't really have any work experience, I applied and didn't expect to be called straight in for an interview. Well, one should never underestimate oneself and take all the opportunities in life, because I'm now, unusually for my young age, a project manager. I'm really proud of myself.

Passing the security, I swipe my card at the reader and then move to the elevators, just getting one thanks to an employee who is keeping the door open for me. Once on my floor, I walk past the group tables where we usually sketch our big projects and discuss new ideas. I greet all my colleagues on the way to my workplace and then put my handbag next to my computer.

"Good morning, Elaine," Isabella greets me.

She is one of the few colleagues with whom I get on well. It's not that I usually don't get along well with other people or that I'm judgmental, but I have noticed a few times how some colleagues among themselves have been blaspheming me. They said I was not suited for the position and that I would mess up the new project. This took away my motivation for the job at first, but I had no choice but to just overhear. After all, our team leader chose me, and the fact that a few jealous colleagues refused to allow me to do it will not bring me down.

"Good morning, Bella." I smile.

"We have a meeting for the new project today before the lunch break. At eleven o'clock in the meeting room," she reminds me as she puts a cup of coffee on my table. That was our thing. Whoever arrives first brews coffee for the other.

"Thanks. I haven't forgotten," I thank her before she turns around with a smile and takes her own seat.

I open my computer to check all the emails that I received after I got out of work early on Friday. And when I see how many I actually got, I could almost wish I had stayed a little longer. But I don't regret it, because I had a lot of fun on Friday, so it was worth it.

After Jungkook and I said goodbye to Nora and Alex, we talked for a very long time on the playground. I hadn't imagined the outcome of the evening that way, but I'm glad that we finally told each other about our past relationship. Every time Jungkook mentioned that he had been cheated on, I became curious and wanted to know what might have happened that left him so heartbroken.

Now I know.

It was really hard to listen to him tell his story without getting angry with the one person who put him through such a difficult time. I went through a lot myself, but Jungkook's experiences were on a different level of devastation. I can't imagine how I would have reacted, or if I would have been able to get back on my feet afterward if I had experienced the same thing. Catching the person you love –or at least think you love– in bed with someone else would leave anyone with a broken heart and disappointment. I still can't get Jungkook's expression out of my head.

We walk along the shore holding hands after hugging for a long time on the playground. It is quiet again, nobody knows what to say. What can one say to cheer the other up, to suppress the disappointment and the deceit? How can I show him that I feel his pain without really knowing what it feels like? I can't let it go without thinking about it, even though he said that he feels better now, that he has gotten over it and that he doesn't think about it anymore because he has learned to forgive.