Chapter 5

Knox’s POV

As I stepped out of my bedroom, I made my way downstairs for something to eat.   The drive had been long and hellish.   Noah drove me absolutely nuts.   I love the kid, but man being trapped in a car with him for hours was pure torture.   

The first thing I did upon arriving was head up to my room for a hot shower to relax.   My wolf was still on edge and we couldn’t figure out what was wrong.   Noah was safe and now out playing with his friends, so we knew that was not the issue.  

After a quick bite to eat, I decided to head to the pack hospital to visit our new guests.   Maybe not meeting them was the issue.   As we got closer to the building; Rafe began to make all kinds of noise, insisting that I go faster. 

Once inside I made my way to where the women we being taken care of.  As I turned the corner the most intoxicating smell hit my nose, cause my step to pause briefly before my legs began to pump faster until I reach the room where the smell was coming from.   Bursting through the door a growl escaped my lips, MINE, there laying in the bed was my mate.   My second chance mate. 

Before I could take a second step into the room a small figure jumped in front of me, with a knife in her little hand.   Rafe laughed at the girl’s attempt, like she could stop me from getting to my mate.   No one would stop me.   Another growl escaped from my chest, I will show her who the Alpha in the room is.  

Alpha stop!   Think for a second.   If Sophia is your mate, than Ella is your new daughter.   Your new daughter who is terrified after being abused by her father.   You growling at her is not going to help the situation.   Look at her.   She is shaking trying to protect her mother.

I paused taking in Alex’s words, looking at the little girl again I could see the fear radiating off her body.   She stood between me and her mother, in fact protecting her.   Rafe immediately submitted and was now laying down whimpering.    Alex was right, this little girl was ours now.   Ours to protect and care for not scare and intimidate.  

My knees dropped to the ground, bringing me eye level with the little girl.   Tears lined the edges of her eyes as she tried to keep herself together.   I was so proud at that moment of her.   Standing up to me after all that she had been through.   My love for her was instantaneous.   As the father/daughter bond began to form.   Her posture relaxed a bit as she felt my love course through her body.  

Confusion blanketed her face as she tried to process everything around her.   Oh my poor angel.

“Hello little one.   I am Knox.   I am mean no harm to you, ever.   I am here to protect you and your mother from now on.   No one will ever hurt you as long as I am around, please believe that.”

The little girl still held the knife up, which was now pointing at my chest.   If this was anyone else, Rafe would be clawing at the surface to defeat the threat, but since this was now his pup, a pup he terrified, he sat back and allowed her to have whatever control she needed to feel safe.    If it was a knife pointed at my heart then so be it.  

Me on the other hand, was not comfortable with her having a knife, not because of a danger to be but to herself.   A little girl should not be handling knives.