Chapter 1

I just needed to stay awake for a little bit longer.   I had to put more distance between us and LA.   The sun was setting and the roads were getting harder to see out here in the middle of no-where Wyoming.   The pain spreading through my body was also getting unbearable, so I was limiting my movements as much as possible, at this point breathing was starting to become a challenge.   We needed to find a motel soon. 

I was thankful that Ella was asleep in the back seat.  She really was not getting enough rest as the nightmares were waking her up every few hours.   Then only thing that mattered to me right now was my eight year old little girl getting better and keeping her safe.   The bruises had reached deep purple in color, standing out on her angelic face.   Her poor right arm was sporting a new purple cast, protecting her broken arm and wrist.   I failed her.

I am her mother, I was supposed to keep her safe, protect her, but I failed her.  My baby was covered in bruises, had a broken wrist and arm, and worst of all she has all but stopped talking.   I am the only one she will speak to, and only when it is a necessity.   I am so scared that her soul and heart are broken too.   How do I get back by sweet, funny, silly angel?   How do I erase all the horrific images that plague her memories?  

Glancing in the rearview mirror I take in her sleeping face.   My heart breaks and guilt hammers my soul.   I should have been more prepared.   We should have left sooner.   As my brain continues to process the last few days, a sign for the next exit comes into view, thank god, a motel.  I really needed a pain pill and some sleep before I pass out.   We have been driving since around 3 am.  

Easing the car off the ramp I head to the Motel 8 and make arrangements for the night.   Taking in my appearance the older women doesn’t ask any questions, but instead she gives my hand a little squeeze while handing me the room key.   Flashing her a small smile I thank her and head back outside.

After grabbing our things and setting Ella onto the bed, we settle into the room.   The pain was increasing, black spots were clouding my vision.  We couldn’t do this alone anymore, not in our conditions.   Grabbing the phone on the nightstand, I dialed the only person I knew could help us.  I just hoped I have gotten close enough.     

The voice on the other end of the line answered.  “Hello”

That voice, memories flooded my mind instantly.   “Jane, is this Jane Williams?”

“Sophia?  Oh God Sophia is that you?”  The voice shouted ecstatically. 

“Yes, Jane, it’s me.”  Pausing I tried to clear my head as the fog was starting to settle in.   “Jane, I need your help.   I know we haven’t spoken in a long time, but I need your help.”

Jane frantically called from someone named Alex to pick up the other line.  My head was pounding.  As much as I could I gave her details.  Motel 8…Highway 120…Cody…need help…room 13. 

Hoping that she would come, darkness succumbed me as the phone dropped from my hand and the world became black.