Chapter 9: Christmas Day

15 Weeks Pregnant

Rory woke early that morning. The crisp air hit her as soon as she rolled out of bed. She walked into the living room and lit the fire. She made herself some cocoa and watched the snow slowly falling outside, creating a white blanket all the way to the ocean. "I need coffee, it's freezing in here." Lorelai emerged and put in a pod into her mother's espresso machine. "What just happened to normal filter coffee. This fancy crap isn't the same." Lorelai scowled at the machine before taking a sip at the contents in her cup. She then walked to her daughter and they stood there admiring the natural wonder that snow was. "Merry Christmas little one." Lorelai spoke, smiling at Rory's stomach. "Haha it still doesn't feel real. I mean except for the nausea." Rory laughed looking down at her stomach. "So you gonna tell your grandmother today?" Lorelai quizzed. "Umm probably." Rory was vague trying to avoid thinking about it. Emily walked in and the two quickly went to talking about the view. "So who wants to help me cook the Christmas lunch?" Emily raised an eyebrow. "Oh mum trust me you dont want me to cook. I will burn and poison you all." Lorelai scoffed. "Okay then how about you Rory, would you help me please?" Rory was about to give in and say yes when Luke strolled into the living room. "Aha Luke can help, ya know because he actually can cook." Lorelai blurted saving Rory. "Lorelai maybe you should wait until I ask Luke before you decide for him...maybe for once he doesn't want to cook." Emily rolled her eyes. "Emily its okay, I would love to help. Rory and Lorelai should be relaxing especially Rory." Luke replied. Rory's eyes widened . Luke realised what he had done and went quiet. "Why yes I guess she does work hard. Anyways let's get to work you two stay out of the way." Emily guided Luke into the kitchen and Rory stood there staring at her feet. "So what do we do now?" Lorelai asked. "I saw a tv in grandma's bedroom and some cookies in that tin. Chocolate chip cookies, that grandma said she got fresh from the bakery yesterday." Rory said slowly and casually grabbing the tin before they both ran to the bedroom and sat on the bed eating cookies and watching whatever they could find on the tv.

3 Hours Later

"Girls lunch is ready. Let's eat in the living room." Emily yelled from the kitchen. Rory and Lorelai came out from the bedroom, with he cookie tin in Lorelai's hand. "Are they my cookies? Give me that." Emily looked in the tin. "You ate them all, I was saving them for later. Now you have spoiled your lunch." Emily slammed the tin down and crossed her arms. "Mum it's fine have you ever seen us eat. We could fit in another one of those tins and lunch. Do you have anymore tins?" Lorelai joked. "I don't know how I put up with you." Emily went into the living room and sat at the four seater dining room. Everyone followed. "Champagne everyone?" Emily pulled out a $100 dollar french champagne bottle. "Ooh yeh fill her up mom?" Lorelai held out her glass and watched the champagne trickle in. "How bout you Rory?" Emily held out the champagne bottle. "Ugh no thanks grandma." She replied looking at her feet. "Why not today is a day to celebrate." Emily watched her granddaughter shift in her chair. She watched as Rory's eyes darted round the room. "I mean unless there's a reason you're not drinking." Emily glared straight at Rory, making her cheeks turn bright red. "Umm grandma I do actually have to tell you something." Rory started. "Let me guess, you're pregnant." Emily smiled. Which is not how either Rory or Lorelai thought she would react. "Well I think that's brilliant, although I do wonder who the father might be?" Emily questioned. "Umm I don't think I'm ready for that to be said." Emily nodded and they continued brunch like nothing had happened. Emily was actually cheery and smiling, she even was humming Christmas tunes.