Chapter 8: Christmas

15 weeks pregnant
It was the day before Christmas and Lorelai was frantically packing. "Mum why didn't you pack yesterday like I did. We were supposed to get coffee and a Danish before we left." (Rorys love for coffee had returned but she only drank decaf) Rory stated as her mother rushed from one side of the room to the other throwing clothes all over the floor. "Look, we still have 30 minutes before we have to leave, plenty of time I just need a couple more things." Lorelai said opening another drawer. "Just a couple...you sure about that." Rory laughed. "See it's all your fault, that constant mocking is slowing me down." Lorelai directed her daughter out of the room and went back to chaos. Rory decided to get the coffees and Danish's on her own. She stomped through the layer of snow all the way to Luke's. When she walked in she saw him. The one she'd basically avoided for the past month. Only quick hellos and nods. Nothing more since that night. Jess looked up and he had to stop himself from dropping a cup. He walked behind the counter looking flustered. "Hey Rory, what can I umm get you. A bagel with cream cheese or maybe a BLT. Or the fries are amazing you umm know." He stuttered. "I know the fries are amazing, it's not my first time here. And actually two coffees and two Danish's to go please." She avoided eye contact at all costs. "Hey Luke told me your going to your Grandmother's. " Jess stated. "Oh yeah for Christmas then we are coming back. My mum would go nuts if she had to stay more than three days." Rory laughed. "Right..hey can we talk when you get back?" Jess quickly asked. "Oh yeah of course umm how about lunch on Thursday when I get back." Rory said. Jess nodded and with that he handed the coffees and the delicious pastries to Rory. She walked out and sighed. She was excited about Thursday for some reason. But also petrified at the same time. When she got back to the house Lorelai was locking the house and Luke was standing by the truck. "Mum why is there three suitcases in here. I only saw one up in your room." Rory said inspecting the three bags sitting in the ute tray. "Look I didn't have time to make decisions plus one of those is for my makeup." Lorelai said pointing to the far left bag that had Hello Kitty on it. "I was gone for fifteen minutes. "Look Lukes taking the bags and I'm gonna drive you in the Jeep. Now let's go before you see the tote bag." Lorelai hurried Rory into the Jeep. "Mum I'm perfectly capable of driving." Rory said rolling her eyes as they drove out of town. "Oh I know but I like driving." Lorelai casually stated. "You do not. You hate driving for long distances. Plus we have to sit on the car ferry for like half an hour." Rory teased. Lorelai focused on the road.

Luke almost tripped carrying Lorelai's bags to the door. Rory carried the tote and Lorelai carried Rory's one duffel bag and Luke's satchel bag. "Lorelai did you bring your whole wardrobe." Luke grumbled. "I need choices. What if suddenly the sun starts beaming and I need a sun hat and Jean shorts." Luke rolled his eyes at Lorelai's comment. They rang the doorbell and Emily's head popped around the corner. "Hello, wow right on time." Emily beckoned them out of the cold. "The fires lit and I have hot cocoa made. Wow I see Lorelai loaded you up like a mule Luke. Isn't it a bit excessive Lorelai. You're only here for three days." Emily scowled. "Merry Christmas mum." Lorelai's eyes rolled. "Yes Merry Christmas. So was the trip okay?" Emily said as she wandered into the kitchen and returned with a tray of hot cocoa. "Just swell, have you got any marshmallows I'm starving." Lorelai looked around the room. "I don't think so. Now tell me about the drive is the snow beautiful or is it annoying to drive through." Emily diverted the conversation. "Hold on how do you make hot cocoa and not have marshmallows, it's common law." Lorelai argued. "Really Lorelai, so if I went through the big book of laws I would see that marshmallows have to be available when you serve hot cocoa. Because I don't remember that but if you say it, it must be true." Emily mocked. "Now tell me about the drive and if you say one more thing about the stupid marshmallows so help me god." Emily's voice trailed off. "The drive was fine we pumped the radio and got hyperthermia." Lorelai did a fake excited voice. "Oh well at least you all are in the warm house now. Although it would've been nice if your mouth had of froze off Lorelai." Emily did her coy smile. Rory giggled. "What do you want that too?" Lorelai joked. "It couldn't hurt." Rory laughed. "I second that." Luke chimed in. They all laughed while Lorelai pouted. They miraculously convinced Emily into getting takeway Chinese food. "Wow these egg rolls are amazing." Emily chowed down on all the food. "I can't believe you have never had takeaway Chinese food, it's a must in life." Rory replied. "Well yes I can see that, I will have to get it more often." Emily stated and with that they put on the tv to watch all the Christmas movies that were playing for Christmas Eve. They also decorated the house because Emily thought it would be a nice thing to do as a family. They all went to bed, except Rory. She pulled out her laptop and in her room sat at the white wood desk. She began typing away. She also made notes about her experiences this month to add to the end of the book. "Rory what are you doing up you'll get frostbite." Emily said standing at the door in her robe. "My best thoughts come to me at this time of night." Rory replied not looking away from her screen. "Well I'm just gonna get some water and head back to bed. And I expect you are going back to bed right now correct?" She gave Rory a look of guilt. Rory quickly shut her laptop screen and hopped back into bed. Emily kissed her on the head before leaving the room. Rory fell asleep all cosy in the nicely decorated room her grandmother had designed. The house had three bedrooms, an ensuite in Emily's room and a main bathroom. It had a small but roomy enough kitchen and a beautiful living room with an old fireplace. But nothing compared to the view of the ocean you got when you looked out the windows or even better stepped outside. Although right now it was better to be inside.

Gilmore Girls: After The Year In Their LifeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara