Chapter 4: A Romantic Encounter

Lorelai went to the Dragonfly Inn Spa Annex or as she called it the "Katy Perry Property" which was undergoing construction. Michel was in charge of the Annex which Lorelai was a little scared that people would run when they saw him. "Well hello Lorelai, look how nice this is, so bright and airy no?" Michel loved rubbing in his decorating talent in Lorelai's face. "Yes Michel it looks good. I already feel the urge to drop to the floor and start ummming." Lorelai had a mocked tone but was actually impressed, but didn't want to contribute to Michel's giant head. "Tom says we'll be finished in about three months. Also do you have the cheques ready for him?" Michel eyed Lorelai very closely because he knew she hadn't spoken to her mother yet. "Yes Michel, don't get your expensive panties in a twist, I'll have the cheques ready I just haven't had the time to talk with my mum yet okay." Lorelai wanted so bad to avoid going to ask her mother for money, but she knew she had no choice considering she had already used her savings for the down payment on the Katy Perry Property and had basically nothing left. Plus she didn't want Michel nagging her everyday.

"Grandma, I'm here." Rory called from the foyer. "Oh Rory good, now I need you to make a decision. Would you like your grandfather's desk and books. I have absolutely no use for them in Nantucket and I know how much they mean to you." Emily lead Rory to the study and inside were all her grandfather's books stacked neatly in a box. They were dusty but smelt like old cigars. "I'd love them grandma, but mums house isn't the roomiest, plus I wouldn't be able to take them now considering I caught a bus here." Rory stated as she took in the scent wafting from the pages of many classic stories. "Well you could pick it up tomorrow with someone no?" Emily didn't like naive answers to questions, especially when she was busy moving. "Yeah I guess I could. Okay then I'll swing round at 10 if that's okay?" Rory smiled at the thought of having that beautiful desk in her room. Having a piece of her grandfather to see everyday. "Good be here exactly at 10, I don't need you being late when I already have these peanut brains to be late." Emily scowled at the men carrying heavy furniture onto a truck that was headed to charity. "Oh that reminds me, before you go I have a cheque for you, and one for you mother. Its a third of all the money I have gotten from the house and the selling of furniture and antiques." Emily pulled out two envelopes. "What? No, grandma this is too much, I couldn't accept this." Rory was stunned at how much money lay Infront of her. It was more than enough to kickstart her life. "Nonsense. If your mother can accept it, and I'm positive she would skip out of here with no guilt, then you can accept it aswell." Emily backed away so Rory couldn't return the envelopes.

"Your kidding?" Lorelai thought her daughter was pulling a fast one on her until Rory held out the envelope and inside it, contained a cheque. A cheque that could not only pay Tom but also enough to do a little maintenance around the original inn. "Wow I can't believe this, well that saved me having to ask for it." Lorelai joked but on the inside she was so grateful for her mother's generosity. "Mum I think I need somewhere else to live." Rory quietly spoke knowing she was about to hurt her mum. "Oh." That was the only word Lorelai could scrounge up. Rory explained that she wanted to buy in Stars Hollow. Even though Lorelai knew it was best she still felt sad that she wouldn't wake up and be able to see Rory.

Rory and Lorelai headed to the diner for dinner with Luke and Jess. Luke had made the plan because he had felt like Jess would've been lonely staying by himself. "So whats on the menu Luke?" Rory asked as she flopped onto a chair, exhausted from hormones. "Umm I have some roast beef, mashed potato, rolls and a salad." Luke replied grabbing the coffee pot and two cups. Rory looked at Lorelai frantically. Lorelai realised and quickly came up with an excuse. "Umm Luke we were actually hoping you would have some hot cocoa, since it's winter." Lorelai knew it would seem less suspicious if she didn't have coffee either. "Oh yeah I have some in the back, I'll grab it." Luke walked out through the curtain into his storeroom. "Thanks I'm starting to get sick of making excuses. Its so hard to hide this." Jess walked in from upstairs just as Rory said that. He pretended he didn't hear her but now he was worried. He didn't know what she was hiding but he hated not knowing what was wrong. He thought she might have some disease because of her diet and coffee intake. "Well if it isn't the Gilmore girls." Jess said grabbing utensils and napkins for the table. "Well if it isn't my old gutter cleaner, still need some work." Lorelai laughed at her own joke. Jess gave his same smile as always. Luke returned and everything was served. "Luke this roast beef is even better than normal, what's in it weed." Lorelai joked. "Wine actually. Red." Luke replied. Rory was about to take a bite when she quickly dropped her fork and it fell of her plate and onto the floor. "Rory are you okay." Luke quickly stood up and picked the fork up while Rory was racking her brain for a way to explain her action. "Umm yeah it was really hot and burnt my lips." Rory said freaking out on the inside. "Need some Chapstick hun?" Lorelai asked. Rory had to get out of that room. "Umm yes, Chapstick, I have some in my bag, Jess can I use your bathroom to apply it?" Rory stuttered and it was giving her away. "Ah, yeah sure go ahead." Jess smiled but he knew that something was going on. Rory rushed upstairs and went straight to the bathroom. She looked at herself in the mirror. She didn't recognise herself. She was tired and had dark circles under her eyes. Her stomach looked a little bigger than before. It wasn't even noticeable to others probably, but she could see it clearly. She walked out to see Jess standing there looking at her. "I had to grab my jumper." He explained with a hoodie in his arm. "Oh okay." Rory was stuck to the ground. Her feet wouldn't move and she didn't understand why. "What's going on? You sick or something." Jess started to close the gap between them. "What no I'm fine." Rory eyed him, scared to her bones. "Rory I know you, and ever since the wedding you have been acting weird." Jess leaned against the chair. "Jess I'm fine okay, now let's go back down." She was about to leave when Jess grabbed her arm and pulled her close. Her heartbeat was as loud as a drum. Their eyes locked, she could feel his breath. He smiled and....