CHAPTER 13: STRAWBERRIES

"Okay, start over from the beginning." Rowan states. The two have since calmed down and they are both back at the table now.

Dew nods, and begins. "Well, I think that with a phoenix rebirth comes plague, and in your case, abnormalities. I know you've served in the military for the last 20 years and you've excelled in everything. Though, there are still 150 or so years in there that I have no clue what you were doing."

"That's right." He seems a bit unhappy that Dew figured out everything. "I served in the US Marine Corps, until the fall of civilization from the war. Then I served in Osiphia, then in the Easthem, then I served in Avia." Dew just raises his eyebrows. Wait, so this man has just been serving in different militaries his entire life?

"What? You couldn't think of anything better to do?"

This explains a lot, though. Rowan is always on high alert, and he eats remarkably quickly. He just has these little mannerisms that were obviously drilled into him from so much service. It's clear that his military training will never leave him, for however long his lifespan is.

"I enjoy the military life."

"So... you're almost 200 right? Well you look about 25, so how long actually is your life span?"

Rowan frowns, and Dew can tell that that question struck something within him. Maybe it's a sensitive topic?

"We live about 1000 years. Unless we meet our soul mate, then we age with them."

Dew pauses, leaning back in his seat. Okay, that would make sense. When he googled phoenixes there were a lot of things about them that were dependent on their 'soul mate'. It's a very love-based creature.

"When we went back to the Easthem, what were you looking for?" Now Dew really wants to know the answer to this. They flew all the way out there, and Rowan risked getting caught, for some reason. Dew really wants to know.

"Next question."

Dew frowns, glaring at Rowan for still keeping secrets. Dew does not have the time or patience to argue with him, though, so he reluctantly listens.

"A phoenix is a bird. You aren't a bird."

Rowan frowns, then runs a hand through his hair. Dew can tell that Rowan doesn't want to answer these questions, but it's part of their deal for Dew to stay quiet.

"Some phoenixes are more birdlike than others."

This brings Dew to his next question. "Right. I thought that a phoenix dies in fire and then is rebirthed, but you've only been alive for like 200 years, not since the beginning of time."

"When I die, which can only happen from old age or when my soulmate is killed, a new phoenix will come from my ashes. That's the cycle."

Hm. Dew leans forward, across the table, and squints as he studies Rowan's face. The man just raises an eyebrow. Yeah, Dew is pretty close to him. Then, Dew grins as he pulls away. He decides to refer back to what they talked about a few questions ago.

"So who is your soulmate? Have you met them?"

"Yes." Dew raises his eyebrows, eyes going wide. What?!

"Who is it?! What's her—his—their name?! Why do you sleep with random people, then?!"

Rowan purses his lips, eyeing Dew for a moment, then stands up. Dew feels like he just missed something. Rowan walks over to his coffee machine and puts a little cup thing in there, closing it up while it makes his coffee. He's wearing sweatpants and that's it, and Dew watches the muscles flex in his back as he does so. Sorry, but Rowan is fucking ripped. Now Dew really understands why, but still.