CHAPTER 39: KEY

Dew is late getting off that day, and he's not entirely sure why. He just knows that Dr. Sanchez wouldn't let him leave for whatever reason, and he wound up being driven separate from Rowan.

Once he arrives at their condo, he finds Rowan unsurprisingly in the kitchen cooking them dinner. Dew follows his normal routine after work, changing his clothes and rinsing off and such, before joining the captain.

He sits in his regular spot at the counter, while a question burns in the back of his mind. Honestly, he's having a hard time processing what he found out today. He wants to know if Rowan was already aware of the relationship between Alexine and Theodoric. He wants details. He wants to understand it all.

He also needs to inform Rowan of the fact that he's pretty sure Dr. Sanchez is sabotaging their research. That's probably the most troubling revelation to come out of today.

"Soooo... I saw Theodoric today." Dew says conversationally. The atmosphere immediately gets a bit tense, as Rowan's eyes snap to his.

"What? I told you not to go in the dining room."

Dew rolls his eyes. "Seriously? I couldn't even find the kitchen."

Rowan just goes back to cooking, and Dew can tell the captain is not very happy about his disobedience. Oh well. This guy needs to stop getting so pissy when Dew doesn't listen to him, especially if it's an accident. Sure, he may technically have the authority to boss Dew around, but they're basically in a... sort of relationship now. They're supposed to be equal.

"Anyway, do you know anything about how he feels towards Alexine?"

Rowan pauses for a moment, before continuing. This gives Dew all the answer he needs.

"How do you know? Why does Alexine hate him so much? Why is Theodoric in love with him? How does that even happen?"

There's a silence, then, "it's not really my business to be spreading personal information."

Dew rolls his eyes. Who cares? Seriously, Dew would feel no guilt telling Rowan just about anything about anybody. Then again, Dew and the Captain are extremely different. Rowan clearly has more respect for privacy than Dew could ever dream of.

"Not even to me?" Dew asks, frowning. Isn't he supposed to be special to Rowan?

Rowan actually stops what he's doing, and looks over at him. The man looks troubled, and it's then that Dew realizes he just said all of that aloud.

"Of course you're special to me." Rowan says, visibly displeased. "I just don't..."

Dew lays his head on his arms. He doesn't understand the point of the two being in a relationship if Rowan isn't going to treat him any differently. Isn't Rowan trying to convince him to give the two a chance? Or at least supposed to be? Dew also might be overreacting. Okay, Dew's probably overreacting.

"Alexine and Theodoric used to be... together." Rowan gives in, and Dew can't help but to feel surprised. Honestly, that makes a lot of sense. It explains why Theodoric is clearly still in love, and the sheer extent of Alexine's hatred. The only way to hate someone that much, to feel that much emotion towards someone, is if you once loved them too. Or at the very least, deeply care.

Dew's a little confused about how they even made that work, though, since they live nowhere near each other. Complete opposite sides of the world.

"Like, dating?" Dew confirms.

"Yes."

Dew honestly has so many questions. What break up is bad enough to start an entire war over? Especially one that could literally destroy the world?