CHAPTER 40: SILHOUETTE

Dew has one week left.

He's glad that he quit working with Dr. Sanchez at the castle, because he isn't so concerned for his safety anymore. He still has a lot of questions. Like, a lot of questions. However, right now he's been trying to explore this cure business, especially with his new lead.

Rowan's DNA. Dew is almost certain that Dr. Sanchez didn't have ill intent at first, she just got corrupted along the way. Before that, though, she was wanting Dew to get her some of Rowan's DNA.

She wanted to experiment with it. She clearly had a pretty good idea of where to start.

Still, Dew doesn't see himself finding it on his own. Sure, he can brainstorm ideas—and sure, he's basically the Origin expert. However, when it comes to the science? The experimenting? Dew just straight up doesn't have the education.

So, he does what he normally does when he's out of options. He calls Marley.

Marley picks up on the first ring, which is surprising. He's literally the busiest man on the planet, Dew is almost honored he makes time for his bullshit.

"Dew? Everything okay?"

"Yeah," Dew says, and before he can continue, Marley begins questioning him.

"Dr. Sanchez said you quit, I've been meaning to contact you about it so I'm glad you called."

That's when Dew decides to tell Marley everything, because why not?

"Yeah, she wasn't doing any work. Like she was purposely sabotaging me and I'm pretty sure she's working with the people that kidnapped me. I actually saw one of them working in the castle one time. Anyway, I was wondering if you knew any more doctors or scientists or smart people that could help me. I don't have much time left."

Dew has to take a breath after that, and the line is quiet for a moment. Yeah, Marley probably didn't expect him to info dump like that. Whoops?

"Okay, hold on. You think that my castle staff has been compromised?"

Dew blinks. "Yes."

He hears a sigh from the other end, and briefly feels bad for bothering Marley with his problems. The king seems stressed. "Okay, I'll get Captain Lux on that immediately."

Oh, damn. Guess Dew just accidentally gave Rowan way more work to do. Well, he might as well just tell him everything when he sees him next—the guy has been pretty busy. Dew didn't want to stress Rowan out or put more of a workload on him, but it seems like he doesn't have a choice.

"I do know... one other doctor." Marley says, and the way his voice changes piques Dew's curiosity.

"Okay." Dew says. "Sounds good, I'll work with them then."

Nice! Problem solved.

Dew can feel that Marley's unsure, though, and he wonders what's holding the king back. Is there something wrong with this doctor?

"Well, he doesn't work that well with others, but I think he could make an exception. He has some... experience in curing abnormalities. I'll call him as quickly as I can and let you know."

Dew wonders if this guy was some sort of last resort for Marley. He has experience in the exact thing Dew has been trying to do? Why didn't Marley hire him to begin with? Well, okay, he did say that the guy works alone, but whatever! Dew barely knows anything about him and he already sounds more qualified than Dr. Sanchez.

Marley hangs up not too long after, and Dew spends the next day going in circles with his research, making basically no progress. He doesn't see Rowan either, for some reason, and Dew wonders if the news he broke to Marley might be keeping him occupied. A breach in the castle security, especially under Rowan's watch, is cause for concern.