~ bed time story ~

Start from the beginning

I wonder if he had Aaron's smile.

I send him a rare genuine smile, gripping his small hand in mine, "Dani," I state, causing his grin to grow.

*

"The purple crayon dropped on the floor. And Harold dropped off to sleep." I finish, shutting the children's book. It amused me slightly, probably because I grew up with this book and it was my favorite growing up.

Jack had asked me to read him a bed time story at dinner and I agreed. Once he got ready for bed he eagerly ran to his room and grabbed about 9 books, Harold and the Purple Crayon being the last one we read, before coming back to the living room and snuggling into the couch beside me.

I wasn't sure where Aaron went but he did work for the FBI so I assume paperwork or something. I place the book beside me and stand up, turning towards Jack. He looked up at me with tired eyes. He starts making grabby hands, meaning he wanted to be picked up.

I look down at him, "You want me to carry you to your room?" I ask, earning a small nod, before he nods heavily. I smile a bit and pick the child up, grabbing both his blanket and the book.

Jack lays his head on my shoulder, closing his eyes. I look at my watch and sigh, shaking my head. It was 10:00 pm, poor kid was probably exhausted.

Opening his bedroom door, I gently lay the book on his dresser and walk him to his twin sized bed. I slowly pull up his Hulk comforter and lay him down on his Avenger sheets. I am so going to watch those with him.

Tucking the blankets all around him, I get up to leave, only for him to grasp my arm. I look down at his tired eyes questioningly, "Can you stay till I fall asleep, usually daddy or Aunt Jessica do but I think daddy's busy..." he trails off.

I nod, slowly setting myself down in front of his bed. I rub his back gently, leaning my head against my shoulder, my thoughts drifting.

After about 15 minutes I turn my attention to Jack to find him breathing in and out slowly, his hands wrapped around his blanket snuggly as if it were a teddy bear.

I sigh, standing up slowly, rubbing my hands down my jeans. I didn't like showing my emotions, especially happy or sad ones. But with kids my resolve just kind of slips. Probably stems from my obvious mommy and daddy issues.

Turning around, I freeze, my eyes wide like a deer caught in headlights. Aaron laid against the wall opposite of the door, a emotionless look on his face. Once he realized I was looking at him, he pushed himself up, standing there until I closed the door gently behind me.

Not saying a word, he just stood there staring at me. His eyes holding a unreadable expression. Eventually he just turns around, walking down the hallway.

Silently, I followed him to the living room, standing there awkwardly when he sits down. He sends me a real smile, the first one that was directed at me, "You have a beautiful voice," he comments earning a confused look from me.

I think I speak very normally. I mean, I guess I had an accent but I wouldn't go as far as to say a had a beautiful voice .

He shakes his head slightly, "You were humming when you were rubbing Jacks back," he explains causing me to nod slowly. Right.

We sit silently for a couple seconds, him watching me intensely again before he readjusts himself, "So, I think we should talk about rules," he says. I nod slightly, lowering myself into the arm chair behind me.

Rules, the last time I had a conversation about rules, I ended up with a hand around my throat forcing me to agree with the one set for me.

Aaron sighs, drawing me out of  the thoughts of my past, "Obviously, I have a kid, I just ask that you're nice to him, which you already are, and please don't bring guys," he pauses, "Or girls over unless you trust them completely. I'm not good with strangers around him," he explains, his eyes almost pleading.