Chapter 18 ➛One More Day

Magsimula sa umpisa

He nodded and said, ''Claire.''

I flinched at the sound of her name but I ignored it and held up my hand to him, showing him the scar. ''She did that to me when I was eleven. Two girls were holding me back as she pushed the knife into my hand and pulled hard.''

I left him no time to react and quickly went on to the next situation until my emotions would overwhelm me.

''At Hogwarts, I wasn't particularly liked, either. I didn't have any friends, and those that were friendly to me were bullied into hating me, Robert was the only one who stood by me, he saw what they did. He knows.''

My voice faltered and he extended a hand, placing it on mine. ''What did they do?'' he asked softly as he looked into my teary eyes, which, despite my efforts to keep them in, were coming out.

''I fought them. But they were with five and I was all alone. I didn't want Robert to get caught up in it. They almost killed me that day,'' I whispered. ''If Robert hadn't gotten help....''

''And now I finally have the chance to be happy, to be myself, the past keeps haunting me, refusing to let me experience happiness in a sense that other people around me do. It feels so unfair and I want to make it stop, but I don't know how to.''

I blinked and started rattling about all the thoughts that had been spooking around in my mind.

''Sometimes I wonder if it's all worth it. The pain, the loneliness and the memories of everyone that ever made me believe I was worthless and a burden. And then I wonder if it's better to just leave it all behind, instead of just sitting out this ride, with getting absolutely no joy from it,'' I said as I squeezed his hands.

''If I hadn't been born, it would've been easier for most people, right? It would've been easier for Naomie, for you, for Robert because he wouldn't constantly be associated with me, it would've been easier Dumbledore, so he wouldn't have to pretend that he was on my side, or liked me at all,'' I said as I stared at my feet, feeling my emotions piling up in my chest, ready to burst out any moment.

Tears were now staining my cheeks and his brows were furrowed as he looked down at me, and it was only when I looked up at him that I realized his eyes were tearful too.

It shocked me but showed me that he did indeed care about me on a deeper level than anyone.

''Now, you listen to me. I am very glad that you've been born. And it saddens me that I've not been able to be there for seventeen years, and I hate to see the pain the world has put you through and the things that happened to you. But know, that you are here with me now. I will protect you, I will make sure you will never feel that way again because you deserve so much more than just the scraps of humanities happiness. And I promise you that you will be happy here, I'll ensure it. And for Naomie, she would be just as proud of you as I am right now,'' he said as a smile came to his lips.

I looked at him and felt my lips quiver and more tears spilt from my eyes as I jumped up from the chair and threw my arms around his neck. And for the first time, he hugged me back without hesitation, wrapping his arms around me and holding me tightly.

''I'm sorry for putting you up with this,'' I said softly as I buried my face into his shoulder. ''Never apologize for that. It's important you talk about this. But do remember that I'm still a father in the making, so no judgement please,'' he said as he retreated and grinned at me.

There was a deadly silence as he walked to the middle of the room, slowly people dispersed to create a path for him, watching him stare at the ground in front of him as he took the last few steps to the centre of the room, halting beneath the chandelier.