Chapter (9)

Chapter 9 

Stanley released the little box from the catapult. It disappeared away into the fog. Few seconds passed and not a single splash sound heard from beyond... There was total silence. All of a sudden, a ripple crossed the sea. The ship rocked.

No one saw how this happened but the moment the box exited the catapult, it started to turn and twist in form of blocks while bits of frost developed on each block.

And the moment it burst open, the different block pieces scattered away into all directions, but wherever they touched the water, they caused a ripple which shock the ship as well.

Smarya was already on board Holtem ship. And she felt the ripple in the sea. She staggered into a corridor where the rest of the ship's crew were rushing towards the entrance to the lower deck. The captain had left clear instructions that those below deck let no pirate get below deck whatsoever until they cast out the miracle box. This is what she found them doing. Hence, all their attention was diverted from her.

You are right to wonder how and why she was on board Holtem ship. I will not give you the answer direct but I would prefer you kept reading and following the plot.

Nevertheless, why she was on board, I'll give you a little hint, she had secrets not even her father knew. She grew up from behind the great fog. Hidden away from the realities of the outer world. She grew up watching her father part on raids daily and always returning with strange artefact from beyond the fog much of which were Black Project things.

She had an ability to see through the minds of the men her father captured but then, she would only see their last experience the moment they entered the great fog. And what memories they possessed about the rest of their journey and life beyond the fog appeared plain grey and hidden from her reach.

This ability wasn't all she knew. She had no limitations in so many other things but she was advised by her god father, someone she adored and respected so much to keep her abilities a secret from everyone even her own father until when she met the right people who would reveal the truth about her abilities. How and why she had them unlike everyone else.

She was told the right time for her to know will come and that the gift within her will drive her. And she will know but she needed not force it lest it got her into problems she that would regret because beyond the fog such abilities did not work. She did not believe that statement but the same person said her answers lay beyond the great fog with someone she knew. Whoever told her these things knew who this person was? And it wasn't long ago when she came to realize who the person was.

"Cobham?" She was calling his name.

This is when the captain of the lower ship heard a female voice calling unto the ship's former captain from below deck down the corridor. He immediately hurried over to check. She saw him and hurried away back to hide behind the main mast, which passed through the center of the corridor.

When Smarya got onboard, the fight was intense on open deck. She kne2w what she wanted and of course saw no reasoning in her father's fight right now. She had to get what brought her here. Answers! So, the moment she Steps up on deck, she endeavored to remain out of sight behind a set of water barrels and food boxes lining the sides of the ship and avoiding the battleground at the center of the deck.

She saw her father in combat with two Black Project men. He had experience and knew every move they made in their style of fighting. She saw the entrance that led below deck and headed for it in pretense hoping she wasn't being watched. The moment she disappeared below deck is when she heard captain Horrace yell to His men to block the lower deck from the pirates. Meanwhile she was already below deck.