Chapter 14: I am now being held captive because of said deal?

"Why is there blood on the ground? None of you cut her she shouldn't be bleeding."
Someone's voice drifted through the darkness.
"We aren't sure."

My eyes flicked open a little.
"Oh good she's awake."

Something was thrown at me.
I sat up weakly looking around.

It took me a moment to remember what happened.

Then I saw that I had bled through everything and gotten it on the ground where I was laying.
Disgusting.

I picked up the apple that had been thrown at me and took a bite.
"So, let me guess? Your holding me hostage till I agree?"

Isabella just glared at me.
"Yes, get up."

I stood up uncomfortably.
"Oh your on your period that makes sense, your bathroom is through here, get cleaned up, this should fit you."

I grabbed the dress that was thrown at me and held it at arms length.

"I don't wear dresses."
"Oh but you do now."

"No I don't think I do. If your going to get me to agree your gonna have to try harder."

She sighed "Your the one whos being held prisoner here its awfully presumptuous for you to be making demands." I sighed and Quietly stepped into the bathroom.

There was a small shower a sink and a toilet.
Good enough.
I took a quick shower and got dressed, taking advantage of the seeming abundance of hygiene products.

The dress fit, but it's length restricted my movement.
I hate dresses.

"Greens a good color for you." Isabella said as I opened the door to the bathroom.
"Interesting. Care to let me go home?"

"Care to be my girlfriend?"
"I have a boyfriend, so no."

"Then you can't go home."
I sighed.  "I just wanna say sooner or later ya gonna have the wrath of Manhattan backed by Brooklyn raining down on youse."

She laughed "Your brother doesn't care that you went missing. None of them do. Not even your boyfriend Davie. They won't miss you, not one of them. They don't actually care about you."

Her hands were on the sides of my face.
"Thats not true."
"Of course its true. You know it's true you just don't want to admit it. None of them care, but I do."

I believed her.
Why do I believe her?
I shouldn't.

Suddenly I was kissing her again.
My brain was screaming about how wrong this was.
I pulled away.

"No! This is wrong!"

She glared at me "Fine I will leave you in spades capable hands."
A kid entered the room, way bigger than me.
I put up a decent fight but he ended up beating me pretty bad.

I stayed in the room the rest of the day, hoping someone would come get me.
Hoping one of the boys would find where I am.

"Psst, Emerson!"
I turned to see Mason.
"What?" I snapped.

"Saw your brother,  hes near hysterics. Started screamin at me. He told me to give you this."
I took the piece of paper from him.

'Emerson I saw the kid you got outta the refuge and asked if he knew anything he insited he didn't but I didn't believe him so I told him to give you this. We don't know where you are, Davie's goin insane. Stay alive till we find you.'
"Thank you Mason."

It hurt to move but nonetheless I got up and limped to the window.
I was on the second story and the fire escape was a few windows over.

This might work.
I climbed out onto the ledge outside the window, balancing delicately on the edge.

I winced as another cramp came before continuing to edge along.
Only about 30 feet to the fire escape.

I grabbed at the edge of the next window and used it to pull myself closer.

About 25 feet to go.
I made the mistake of looking out across the city.

Normally I liked heights but not like this.
Carefully I inched along.

Only 15 feet.

Only 10 feet.
8 feet.
6 feet.

4 feet.
I could jump that right?

I ignored the screaming protests of the rest of my body and look over at the fire escape again.

4 feet.
Thats shorter than Spot.
I could make that.
Right?

After a deep breath I turned the best I could on the narrow ledge and jumped.

My hands latched onto the rail and immediately pain flooded them. My feet quickly found the edge, but they to screeched in pain.

Without thinking I let go to relieve the pain and started to fall backwards.
I scrambled to grab the edge again, this time my feet slipping leaving me dangling.

Suddenly someone grabbed my hands and pulled me up onto the fire escape.

"I told you not to leave your room! What were you thinking! You could've broken the pretty face!"

I pulled out of Isabella's grasp and leaned back against the rail.
"Can you blame me for wanting to get outta dis place?"  I gestured to the bruises on my face and arms.
"No, but I believe those were intentional."

I rolled my eyes "You aint keepin me 'ere forever."

She laughed "Why cause those stupid Hatten boys will come rescue you?"
"I don't need them to rescue me. I can rescue myself."

She snickered "Oh yeah cause that seems to be going so well."

Isabella stood there for a moment before turning and climbing back through the window.

"Enjoy the view while you can, I'm sending Spades for you soon." With a swish of her skirts she was gone.

I stared out over the city.
The sun was high in the sky and I could see newsies out on the street corners.

None were boys I knew. I was too far from Hatten terf for that.

Soon enough I was grabbed and dragged back through the house to my room, and naturally given an even worse beating.

I tried to block out these parts, push them from my memories.
I fought back again, but someone else was brought in to hold me down.

As the punches rained down, and the pain roared I wished she would've let me fall off the fire escape.