Chapter Four: Getting Kicked (politely) out of a resturant

We all ended up at Jacobi's diner after Jack, Davie, Les and I got thrown out of The World.

"A glass of water for you, and a glass of water for you." Jacobi handed out glasses of water to the boys.

"I say we launched our strike in a most auspicious manner!" Davie said raising his glass.

I snorted as everyone looked confused.
"Davie these boys have limited vocabulary that consists of, pape, extra, and heard it here, oh and in Races case, cigar. Dont waste ya breath."

Race smacked my head with his cap.  
"Yeah i dont know bout either a those but we sure scared the hell outta Weasel!" Mush exclaimed.

"Yeah! Did you see the look on da Delancys faces they didnt know which way was up!" Crutchie yelled.

"So whats next?" I asked Davie.
"Well we've got to spread the word. Tell all the cities newsies about the strike."
Jack laughed "Well you heard the man. Lets go spread the word."

"Mush you take Harlem, Jo-Jo take bronx, Buttons you take Bowrey, Specs you got Queens, Tommy Boy take East Side, Davie you and Jack can take Midtown." I said.

"Well what about Brooklyn?" Jack asked.
"Me Race and Albert 'ill get Brooklyn."

Race started to protest "But, wait you cant-"
I cut him off "Shut up youse coming with me, and thank me later."
"Hold on i ain't lettin you go to Brooklyn. Its too dangerous." Jack said.

"I was there last night. Its fine."
Finch stood up "But that Spot Colons terf."

"Are you afraid of terf Finch?" I asked.

"No, but that Spot Colon makes me jittery."
I rolled my eyes "Thats why im goin not any a youse."

Suddenly someone rushed through the door. A girl, the reporter. She was so pretty.
"Whats so scary about Brooklyn?" She asked.

"Nothins scary, these boys are just wusses." I said sitting back down next to Race.
"Shes pretty cute." I muttered to him.

"Yeah shes just your type, taller than you, smart, wearing a collared shirt and tie. Hey kinda like Davie!"
I smacked him upside the head with my hat "Shut up!"
"You know for someone who works for the sun you spend an awful lotta time hangin round the world." Jack said Suddenly he ducked down behind my chair "You followin me?" I shoved him out from behind me.

She smirked damn that was cute "The only thing im following is a story. A ragtag gang of ragamuffins wants to take on the king money makers of new york. Do you think you have a chance?"

Jack stuttered "Shouldn't you be at the ballet?"

I stood up.
"He's trying to act like he aint flustered. But yeah course we gotta chance. Why wouldn't we?"

"Your trying to challenge the richest and most powerful men in new york but your just a bunch of kids without a nickel to your names."
Crutchie looked offended "Hey, you dont gotta be insulting, i got a nickle."

"So i guess your a couple of modern day davids looking to take on goliath." She said turning to face Davie and I.
"We never said that."
"You didn't have to, I did."

Jack snorted "I've seen alot of papes in my day and i aint never noted no girl reporter."
"Well wake up to the new century. The games changing, how about an exclusive interview?"

Davie crossed his arms "I say we save the interview for a real reporter."

I glared at him "Oh and I suppose you want the paper its printed in delivered by a real News Boy!" I stressed the word boy and stormed out.

Once i was out side i leaned against the wall running a hand through my hair. Slowly i slid down the wall until i was sitting.
I thought he was better than that.
I pulled off my cap and rested my head on my knees, listening to the sounds of the City.

I heard footsteps round the corner.
"Emerson, I didn't mean it like that. You know i didnt."
I sighed and looked up at Davie.
"You wouldnt understand. I don't expect you to."

He sat down next to me. "I made a mistake, and im sorry."
I almost smiled.
"Be Careful with words, they can be forgiven but never forgotten. And they almost always have two meanings."
"Yes I suppose so." he said doubtfully.
"Doubt is an uncomfortable position, but certainly a ridiculous one."

Davie smiled "Your just full of words of wisdom today arent you."
"Nah. Im like dat everyday. You just kinda made enough of an impact to get it to surface."

"How come you've got two different voices. The one you use with the boys and on the streets and then the one that uses good vocabulary."

"Dats just the way i am."
The boys all began pouring out of the restaurant. I stood up and walked over to where Jack and Kathrine were standing.  "Seeya Davie."

"So whats your guy's story? Have you always been their leaders?"

Jack smirked "No. I'm just da blowhard, Davie and Emerson are the brains of the operation."

I smiled "Definitely the blowhard. Look i gotta go see Spot, do you think you can handle this, without harassing this beautiful young woman?"
Kathrine blushed.
"Thank you." She muttered.

"Any time, doll face." I tipped my hat and winked before turning to join Race and Albert.
As i walked away i heard Kathrine say "Your brother is quite the charmer."

I smiled to myself and caught up with Race, who's hand was now entwined with Alberts halfway up the block.
"Ay what was that about?"

"Shes a beautiful goil."
"Good luck wit dat. She don't exactly seem to be your type."

I smirked "We'll see."
"Say why do we even have to come with for this? You and Spot are friends and you could whoop them brooklyn boys asses."

I smiled "Well its been at least three weeks since the last game night which means its been three weeks since you've seen him. I figured i was doing youse a favor."

He smacked me with his hat.
"If nothing happens dont blame us." Albert said.
"And if something does happen you'll be thanking me."