Chapter 10: Quality Time with Emily

Start from the beginning

               I smiled back and said, “Hi.”

               She laughed and replied, “Good morning.”

               I widened my eyes in shock. Had I really slept through dinner? I looked around me and noticed that I was tucked snugly in bed, with my regular clothes still on.

               “What time is it?” I asked frantically.

               Emily glanced at the clock on the wall. “10:14,” she replied.

               “Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry I couldn’t cook dinner for you! And I missed making breakfast, too. Are you going to kick me out?” I cried.

               “Of course not! Why would I do that?” she laughed.

“Uh… because I didn’t make you food?”

               “That’s just silly! When I told you that you could help me with cooking and cleaning, that was just voluntary. Besides, keeping me company is the most that I could ask from you. Giving you somewhere to live is the least I can do in return.”

               “I…” I had no words to say. Instead, I jumped up suddenly and gave Emily a bear hug. She chuckled and pried my hands away.

               “Breakfast time!” she exclaimed, skipping to the door, “Just take as much time as you need to get ready. The food is in the dining room!”

               I got out of bed and quickly changed into my clothes. Then I went to the washroom, did whatever I needed to do, and flew downstairs to the food.

               I slipped into one of the magnificent chairs at got ready to eat.

               “Uh…” I stared at the food that was in my plate. It was a piece of half-burnt toast with chunky peanut butter spread across from it. Nothing else.

               “Er… yeah. I guess you understand why I need your help in the kitchen,” Emily grinned sheepishly, “I usually have a maid to do this stuff, but she… well, I guess you can say that she quit. I’m trying to live with the stuff that I can actually do myself these days.”

               “Don’t worry, I’ll help you with anything you want,” I assured her, “So, how about some bacon, scrambled eggs, and pancakes?”

               Emily licked her lips, “Can’t wait!”

**********

               I rummaged through her cupboards and fridge and found what I needed to make the food. So I quickly whipped up some stuff and served it. By the time we were finished eating, it was already 11:30.

               “Let’s just call this brunch,” Emily suggested.

               “Sure,” I grinned, rubbing my tummy.  I ate a lot of food.

               “You wanna go play Wii?” Emily said excitedly.

               “YES!” I shrieked, “I haven’t played that in, like, 4 years!”

               “What?!” she shrieked back, “HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!”

               Suddenly, we both grew silent. Memories of those high school years flashed in my head.

               “I… I’m sorry. I’ll tell you after we play?” I said.

               “Sure,” she said as we walked over to the TV.