Chapter 13: The Accident

Oh god. Oh god. Someone help me.

               “JENNIFER!”

               Stop it. You don’t need me.

               “WAIT! PLEASE!”

               No one needs me.

               “JENNIFER, WATCH OUT!”

               Before I had time to register what was in front of me, I crashed, headfirst, into a cart full of food. The poor bellboy stared at me wide-eyed, mouth slightly open. What had I done?! My body was aching from the collision as I lay on the ground, covered in bits of pasta and vegetables. Shame filled my heart as half-closed my eyes and dropped my head to look at the floor.

               Out of the corner of my eye, I watched as Liam took a tentative step forward. He bent down and took my chin in his hands, tilting my head up to look at him. I kept my eyes squeezed shut the whole time, in fear of facing the band.

               “Jenn?”

               He didn’t sound angry. Or maybe it was just me. Cautiously, I opened my eyes just the tiniest fraction.

               Liam was peering down at me, concern filling his big brown eyes. “Jenn. Are you okay? Are you hurt?”

               I warily examined his expression. He didn’t seem angry with me, it didn’t seem like he was going to yell the crap out of me any time soon. The tiniest bit satisfied with his actions, I opened my mouth slightly to answer him.

               Suddenly, a wave of dizziness hit me like a hammer. Everything around me was spinning like I was on a carousel at full speed. The impact of the cart… my head…

               “Jennifer. JENNIFER. Can you hear me?” Panicked voices of the people around me bounced around in my head.

               I opened my eyes and scanned my surroundings. I couldn’t make out which faced belonged to whom. Blurriness was overtaking my senses as my head pounded with pain.

               “JENNIFER!”

              I turned my head to the source of the call. Zayn met my blurry sight as my eyes filled with tears.

               “I’m sorry,” I managed to mumble as I everything around me slowly turned to darkness.

**********

               Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

               I slowly opened my eyes, but squinted them shut again at the brightness of the room at I was in. Once my vision adjusted to the light, I opened my eyes once again and found that an unfamiliar, uniformed lady was staring back at me with relief recognizable on her face.

               I sat up suddenly, but the lady was quick to gently push me back down. I just noticed that I was in a white bed with different tubes and needles attached to my skin. I lifted my head up and scanned the room that I was in. A hospital, I realized. What was I doing here?

               Without any warning, the events of the previous incident came crashing down on me unexpectedly. I remembered the painful crash, the dizziness, the hasty apology…

               My eyes filled with tears again as I heard the beeping of the monitor grow faster. The nurse immediately grew concerned as she rushed forward to examine me.