Chapter 16: The Beach (Part 2)

• Dedicated to Samantha Tse

               “Ugh. I’m stuffed.”

               Everyone fell silent. All eyes were trained on Niall, with their mouths open in shock.

               “W-what did you just say?” breathed Zayn with disbelief.

               “I said, I’m stuffed,” Niall said with irritation, “Do I need to repeat myself again?”

               No one moved, but continued to stare at Niall.

               “I... I can’t believe I would live to see this happen...” whispered Liam, eyes wide.

               There was a silent agreement in the atmosphere. Emily and I looked around at the faces of our friends, which were all statue-like and frozen in a state of shock. Confusion was evident on our faces as everyone gaped at Niall.

               Suddenly, Niall broke into a grin. “Just kidding. Who has more food to feed the leprechaun? I’m still a hungry, growing boy!”

               Every single person visibly relaxed. A few of them even breathed a sigh of relief.

               “Thank god. I thought that we had to go on a trip to see the doc,” Harry let out.

               “Anyone mind explaining what just happened?” Emily frowned, speaking up.

               “Niall is never full. There has to be something wrong if he ever is. His stomach’s a bottomless pit!” Louis shot a big grin in Niall’s direction.

               “Well then let’s all celebrate the fact that Niall’s back to normal,” I chuckled.

               “Or at least as normal as Niall can be,” Zayn added.

               We all cheered and laughed, only to be interrupted by an exclamation.

               “HEY!” Everyone turned to the source of the sound, and found Niall pouting with puppy-dog eyes. “Niall is still hungry! Niall is waiting for FOOOOOOOD.” He pointed to his open mouth.

               Everyone laughed again and Harry prepared to make a couple more ribs.

**********

               “Ahh, that was good,” I sighed, licking the barbecue sauce off of my fingers.

               Silence fell over everyone. Looking around, I tried to find the reason why everyone was suddenly quiet. Then I realized that they were all looking at me.

               “What? What did I do?” I blabbed. And then I suddenly remembered that the ribs were for Niall.

               “WHYYY?!” wailed Niall, “WHY JENN?! THOSE WERE MINE! THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE MY FOOD! YOU ATE MY FOOD!”

               I stared at Niall. The poor boy was almost in tears.

               “Um... Oh my god. I’m so sorry. I didn’t realize...” I got out of my seat and started to walk over to him.

               Out of the blue, I felt a familiar sensation in my stomach. Something was building up, putting pressure on the back of my throat. Before I could stop myself, I let out a huge burp that was worthy of the Guinness World Records.

               My face turned as red as a tomato when I saw that everyone was staring at me in horror and disgust. Everyone except Niall. He grinned instead. Strange boy, that one.