17. Explosions

Layla

One single tear rolls down from my eye to the tip of my nose. I wipe it with the back of hand and remain face down on the bed. I'm not sure what time it is and I don't care, I woke up before sunrise and I haven't moved. Yesterday, after leaving Hamdan I called Reem and told her I wasn't coming to work because I knew that I wasn't going to be able to put on a brave face and push through it. Tomorrow, no matter what, I'll show up at the office.

Countless times I've thought about what he said; giving us a chance. But knowing what he wants, it would be like betraying myself and my own wants and needs. I suppose he might get away with breaking his engagement, but not having a wife and kids? That will never happen. I simply do not understand why you would have to sign a contract committing to spend the rest of your life with someone else. That sounds anything but romantic to me. Of course, you throw some flowers and a white dress in there and it will definitely look like a fairytale. And for the rest of my life? That's so definitive. What if I change my mind?

No. I can't do it.

But then my mind goes back to that kiss and I close my eyes to relive it. It was so urgent, so deep and electrifying. I have never been kissed like that before, it was so intense that I had to leave as soon as possible or otherwise I would still be there with him.

A soft knock on the door brings me back to this gloomy morning.

"Layla..." Krisha's voice calls my name.

"Yeah." I reply, monotonically.

"I noticed your car in the garage and now your friend Reem is here asking for you." She explains.

I close my eyes and breathe out. I get the intention is good, but I always prefer to keep a lot of things to myself, especially when I'm feeling down, and most people don't get it.

"Tell Reem that--"

"Don't you date blowing me off!" Reem cuts me off from the other side of the door.

"Sorry, Layla." Krisha apologizes. "She was very... persistent."

Giving up, I sit on the bed. "Come on in."

The door opens and the two of them pop up inside my bedroom, kind of fighting over who gets to come in first.

"Hey..." Reem inspects my miserable self. "What's going on?"

"Are you sick?" Krisha asks.

I shake my head. "No, I'm simply not in the mood for anything."

"Not even work?" Reem wonders with a disbelieving stare.

"Yeah, I don't know, it's just--" My eyes travel down to the purple and green bag that Reem is holding. "Wait, what do you have there?"

Reem lifts it up and smiles. "I figured we might have breakfast together and got waffles and croissants from Pascal Tepper."

Pascal Tepper, also known as my favorite French chef in the Emirates. My mouth is watering and all of the sudden my stomach begins protesting due to the lack of food.

"I could make you some coffee." Krisha offers.

Now I'm feeling grateful that they're both here.

"That would be awesome." I smile.

They leave to wait for me downstairs and I run to the bathroom to brush my teeth and comb my hair. I put it all up in a high ponytail and grab a comfy robe to join them. I might as well enjoy my meal because staying in bed all day won't change anything.