Chapter 16: Sickly

Levi's POV

Those coughs were intolerable. When I came home, Hanji told me about of Chyo's little coughs. Some people may call Hanji as a terrible mother... because she passed out on her bed. She had a reason to do so. Working early and late nights... grading those exams since it was that time of year... she was lacking on sleep. So then, I stayed up to watch Chyo.

Yet she only seemed to get worse. 

When I felt things had gotten worse, I woke Hanji up. "Four eyes, I'm going to the emergency room."

She scuffled in her sleep, yawning. "Eh...? Emergency room...? Is it about Chyo...? What's going on? Levi, tell me." The more she talked, the more awake she grew. Stirring awake, she was already sitting up in the bed and reaching for her glasses. "Levi-"

"Just stay here. I won't be long." I smiled, kissing her forehead. "I'll call you or the boys if something goes wrong in the E.R. I promise, okay? If not, I-I don't even know what to say."

"Hurry it up then- before I rip your heart out."

I scoffed, brushing it off as I left to Chyo. "Either way, you'll always have my heart."

"Give Chyo kisses for me!" The next few seconds, Hanji was passed out on the bed once more. Her glasses half on her face, half fallen onto the bed. I chuckled before tending to Chyo. At this point, Chyo has to be the number one priority.

Reaching into her room, I smiled and picked her up. "Come on, Chyo. Time to go."

She gave a slight whine, but complied. She continued to cough when she rested in my arms. Her tiny hands gripped onto my shirt, never wanting to let me go. Though she had to when I buckled into her car seat. She fell asleep in her car seat when we were barely a quarter of the way there. 

*   *   *

Admitting into hospital, I didn't think it would go downhill this quickly. The fact that they didn't prescribe something or give her something to help her coughs. I wasn't able to take her home. Time ticked at 3 am in the morning, already been here for an hour. Her coughs just grew worse. None of this made sense. She shouldn't have been sick. She was healthy...

*   *   *

"Jim, you need to listen to me." I say quietly as somehow, Chyo's coughs subsided, yet she's still coughing. "Do not try to worry your mother. Just... slowly and not so bluntly, tell her to come to the hospital. Room 912. Please. When she wakes up and after she gets her coffee. She will freak out without her coffee."

Behind the phone, it seemed that I could see him nodding his head. "Okay... what's going on with Chyo? I noticed she was gone... and you were gone too. What's happening?"

"As long as you don't tell your mother, I'll tell you."

"Please, Dad."

I took a deep breath, gazing towards the sleeping, sickly Chyo. "She's sick. Her coughs got worse and I've been in the hospital since 2 in the morning. I just need your mother here. If you and Taiko can come too- that would be very appreciative. I need sleep. I haven't-"

"Dad, we're on our way now." He says so sternly, reminding me so much of me. "Don't worry. Just get some rest until we get there, please."

We hung up on each other, and I was left to see Chyo. She tossed and turned, coughing every once in awhile. According to the doctor, what she has isn't contagious. Though they wanted to ensure that nothing gets into her system. Especially since she's been coughing and has a fever, her immune system was weakened.

Just as a gingerly touch, I kissed her forehead and smiled gently to her.

"Chyo, it's me, Daddy. I want to tell you... that you're strong. You're gonna get better. When you get better, we can do anything you want to do. With your big brothers and your mommy... all together." I kissed her once more, laying my head down next to her. 

I wanted to hear her breath again... to hear something steady to know she's still living. After all... we're all family here...