Chapter 2: Reveal

Levi's POV

Time was ticking away- but it felt so slow when it finally hit 2:23 pm. When I found it... I grew too suspicious. 3 suspects. How am I suppose to handle this when I found it in my own house? It's been... too long. 16 years- give or take a year- since I've seen this object. The style of it hasn't been released from my head- it still haunts me. But seeing those lines tell a positive story... my heart would slow down. 

I hid it away, shaking my head in denial. It wasn't found in the master bathroom- but found in the half bathroom. So it could be anyone's. The boys' girlfriends or Hanji. Who's pregnancy tester was it? My sons' girlfriends' or my wife's?

For now, they were at school. I didn't want them to come up with an excuse, so at dinner, I'll bring it up to them. To all of them. Even though their hearts would be filled with embarrassment, perhaps it would be better off if they don't dare tell whose tester it was.

*   *   *

I watched them come home around 5- though Taiko came home a bit later. A smile grew on his face- was it his girlfriend's then? Hanji always had that joyful smile of hers whenever she walked through that door and was greeted by the smell of dinner. Since she cannot cook, I'll cook every meal for her. And Jim- well... that neutral tone of his. The only one that seemed different was Taiko.

We were halfway through dinner when I finally brought up the idea of it. How silence fell upon me when I asked that question of: "Who's pregnant?" I then rephrased it. "I found a pregnancy tester in the half bathroom when I was cleaning up- and the tester showed it was positive. So, who's tester is it?"

Just as I was going to accuse people, Hanji spoke up in a quiet voice. "Levi, can we talk about this in private?"

Instantly, I just knew. I knew it. The surprised faces of my sons when they heard their mother say that- "That's yours, Mom?!" Jim called out with a hint of anger. "Mom- are you serious?!"

Hanji hid herself behind her hands- concealing her tears, probably. I went over to her, holding her tightly as I whispered words of "it's going to be okay" or "it's alright." 

"Mom..." Taiko said in disbelief as he sat away from the table. 

She lifted her head, showing her tears clearly as her glasses fogged up. "I didn't want you guys to know-"

"That you're what- pregnant?" Jim continued ratting off with anger as Taiko still sat there. "You know how embarrassing that is? To know that my own parents are still... are still doing that. To know that if you're keeping this baby- we're years apart. Not just buy a few- but over a decade! She'll get teased- I'll get teased. Mom, get rid of it."

Taiko began his say, though it was a less harsh way, but harsh nonetheless. "Isn't it dangerous, Mom? You can't have the baby now. For your own good."

Hanji turned to me, clinging onto me for last hope. "Levi..."

"Hanji..." the tone of her name being called out was enough for her to cry once more. She wanted to run, but she couldn't. I watched her pull herself out of her chair, yet her legs buckled underneath her and she clung onto me for support. "Let's go talk then."

I guided her into the kitchen as Jim continued to say words of disapproval. 

"I'm sorry..." A flood of regret began to pour out of her as we reached isolation. Her tears began to sink into my shirt as she continued to cry. "I'm sorry..."

Nuzzling her neck, I held her close and smiled. "You don't need to be sorry... it was my fault to begin with. But still... Taiko did say something about-"

"That what? I'm too old?" She shook her head, retreating back to her tears. "Levi, you've known me well... I always wanted to have more kids... always. After Jim... the time I couldn't conceive a baby... I was heartbroken. We just ran out of time... but now, this?"

"You want another chance..."

She nods her head. "Yes... please..."

"I don't like this, Hanji- I don't want to lose you. You're risking your life for this baby of yours."

"Then if this baby survives and I don't, my final wish would be if you can take care of them. Think them as me. What would you do to ensure that I'm happy? That's my wish- and don't you dare forget it, Levi."

A heavy sigh was bestowed upon me as I nodded my head. "Then if that's what you want, fine. But if this baby will endanger your life and theirs, know that we can't keep it. The second it reaches that threshold, understand that this is to protect you. Because if there's a chance that they won't survive, I'm not letting you die like that. You hear me?"

Throughout her tears, she managed a smile. "So... you'll support... you'll support me...?"

"As long as it's within reason, Hanji. Though I hate it, I don't want to regret the one decision that forces me away from you."

A few pecks of kisses, Taiko and Jim walked from the dining room into the kitchen. Jim, of course, had his arms crossed with anger. "Well? Are you guys getting rid of it?"

Hanji hid behind me for protection from their wrath- which I didn't mind at all. "No. Unless it puts her and the child in danger, she's keeping it. We're keeping it. Whether you like it or not, you guys are getting a sibling. Do not stress her out on this. That's a rule here."

"Dad, you can't allow her to do that-"

"Jim, when you have a significant other, you'll understand." I said with a heavy growl behind my voice as I spoke. I've never spoken like that to my sons- but they didn't seem to mind it at all. Strange. "You'll do anything to keep them happy. Even if you dislike it, you'll always support them. Because if you truly love them, and they truly love you, you'll support them."

Jim looked at Taiko and myself, trying to peek at his mother. "I can't handle this- I'm not supporting this decision."

"You're not her husband, Jim. I am. Even if she doesn't get support here- I'm supporting her. You hear me, Jim? Jim."

He rolled his eyes and shook his head. "This isn't right. This is disgusting. Taiko, what do you say?"

Taiko continued to stay silent as he stood somewhat neutral on the spectrum. "Jim Farlan Ackerman, you listen here. You do not control what your mother wants. Let her do her crazy things- I'm the one that will handle her. Not you."

"I'm done eating." He says coldly before walking upstairs to his room. The door being slammed was echoed inside the house.

I turned to Taiko to see him walk back to the dining room and quietly ate his food. Then, I turned behind me to see Hanji trying to smile as she wiped her tears. "It's going to be alright," I say, "it's going to be good. I'm here, alright?"

"Y-Yeah..."

"Let's go back and eat first-"

"Not with Taiko... I'm sorry, but not with him. I know exactly what he thinks. I don't want to deal with that tonight. So please-"

"I'll get your plate. I'll try to talk to him about it... okay?"

She nods her head as she walks upstairs to our room to leave the conversation entirely. Maybe I should've told them all before bringing it up at dinner. Though everything would be on text messages and they would've spread it even further with proof like that. Then again, they are embarrassed to know that their mother is expecting at around 35 years old.

A/N: I know it was requested for this chapter to be chapter 3, but honestly, I'm not sure on how to fill in chapter 2 without the drama. Because... what is there to fill in? Everything was already set up in chapter 1, so why have a random filling if I can immediately fill chapter 2 with contents of chapter 3. Is that confusing? Sorry again.