TD - Chapter Fifteen: Out with the Old, in with the New?

CHAPTER FIFTEEN: Out with the Old, in with the New?

Natalie Cross

I just stared blankly on the screen. We had our Student Government meeting and they were showing a slideshow about how the Halloween Haunted house was about. Samantha, Chris, and Talia planned it all week long and created a bunch of ideas that were supposed to be “scary.” I wasn’t much excited for these events. Honestly, whoever elected me must’ve been crazy.

“So we thought creating many fun activities while people are in the Haunted House. There could be arcades, games, etc.” Chris explained. He wore his jersey that made him look more like a stupid jock.

“I thought this was a Haunted House. Isn’t it supposed to be scary and frightening?” I asked. Everybody laughed, but they agreed as well.

“Well, this is our version of a Haunted House. A house filled with fun games and prizes.” Samantha exalted. I saw Talia roll her eyes. She smiled at me.

“There will be fun games, but I see a door that opens to a different world. After you play fun games you have a choice whether you can go home and collect your prize or continue on and have the craziest scare of your entire life.” Talia explained. Everybody seemed to be into it because I heard a lot of agreements and curiosity. She looked at me and proved her point. I smiled.

“I love it.” I put in. Ms. Peeler loved the idea and it was up to us and the freshmen leadership to help put this idea into work. That means less for me to do much work for this absurd idea. Talia, Chris, and Sam were chatting away about their ideas while I just walked beside them feeling like a fourth wheel if that ever made any sense.

“Don’t you just love the idea Nat?” Talia asked. Her hands were intertwined with Chris as he seemed so dazed by her sight. I didn’t know if I should feel happy for her or the urge to just ignore their little relationship. I picked to ignore it.

“Yeah, you’re just full of wonderful ideas.” I said sarcastically.

“What’s wrong with you Nat?” Everybody had their eyes on me.

“Nothing, I’ll meet you all at lunch.” I separated ways as they went ahead. How good did it feel to be away from their social scene? The feeling of hanging out with them gets really exhausting. It was like a full-time job. I didn’t always want to look or feel my best, sometimes I just want to be me; the depressing side of me.

The past two classes were all a blur. Even Art class didn’t excite me as much. What was happening to me? I used to handle everything; I used to be able to hold things in. I looked at myself in the girl’s washroom mirror. The girl showed strength, but nobody knew who was behind that. I was weak, needy, and hopeless. Maybe the reason why I was friends with Samantha and Talia was to be secure, to know that maybe they would never leave me.

I left the washroom. It suddenly felt full there, even if I was the only one there. I heard a swarm of voices in the end of the hall. I looked to see who it was. It was the boys crowded in the East wing. They were discussing something important. They all seemed so tense. I saw Jason explaining something to them.

“So, who are we spying on?”A boy with the same style of a hoodie and a cap with the same red flecks of hair shooting out stood beside me. I could smell a large amount of cologne. Who was he trying to impress? I stood properly and fixed myself. He showed a smile.

“Nobody,” I began walking the opposite direction and of course he persisted on walking with me.

“I’m sure that’s a lie.”

“Nobody’s worth the truth.” I didn’t know why I said that, but there was a lot of truth to it.

“You’re a lot different than they are.” He said.