TD - Chapter Twenty: The Evil Man

CHAPTER TWENTY: The evil man.

Natalie Cross

It was the day of the Haunted house showing, the first Student Government event. The Haunted House was all set and it was perfect or at least close to it. I had my microphone set since everything had to be laid down in perfection. “Is everybody set for their jobs?” There was a scratchy background and a response from everybody came one by one. “Good, let’s get this started.”

My job was to supervise everybody and make sure everything was working alright. I had to alert Talia and Samantha if anything went wrong. Their jobs, was well, they called it operation inspect boys to see if they were passable. I thought it was pretty one-dimensional, but I knew Talia needed it, but sensing Trick and Samantha’s mysterious connection, I’d like to think that Samantha was going to treat Trick right.

Ms. Peeler and the board of trustees were heading towards my area. I knew them because of the daily conference or shall I say formal dinners they had with my parents every month. They wore their business suits and had clipboards in their fragile arms. They all looked similar to each other with black attire and old lady glasses.

“Ms. Cross, we haven’t stumbled upon your parents yet. Are they around?” A woman with short, blonde, cropped hair spoke up. They all nodded and had mini conversations showing that they just noticed that my family wasn’t here. They never were. I expected my mother anytime soon though. She was expected back from wherever she was this weekend. She scheduled dinner for both of us in Roberto’s, sadly; I wasn’t at all excited for it.

“I am deeply sorry; they aren’t present at the moment. Father is currently working on his project in New York and Mother, well who knows where she’s off saving some unfortunate country.” They were all lies, all of them. I really didn’t know where both of them were. Nobody would say anything. My family was unstable, maybe they were the reason why I am too. The board of trustees and along with Ms. Peeler left to inspect the rest of the fair.

I saw all of the families here, the smiles from all the fathers as they carried or played around with their kids. Even the annoying, naughty kids who begged their parents for what they wanted still had smiles on their faces. I felt a pang of jealousy. I wanted that, no I needed that. A small tear fell from my face, but I quickly wiped it off before anybody could’ve seen.

“May I have your attention please,” It came from the side of the quad. I headed my way towards a lot of people who seemed to have crowded the boy. I saw a hat with red pieces of hair coming out. It was Hunter. He stood on the table and had a bottle of beer in hand, drinking on school grounds, classic. I pushed everyone aside as I tried to get a closer look. I tried to get Hunter’s attention by pulling his pant leg, but to no avail, he ignored me and continued with his imprudent ways.

“Hunter, stop whatever you’re planning on doing.” I hissed. I apologized to some people knowing that this even was important to me. Even the board of trustees had their attention towards Hunter. Peeler had a disapproving look on her face and signalled me to do something about it. A sudden buzz came from my phone. I looked and it was from Talia.

TO: NATALIE CROSS.

FROM: TALIA CAMBRIDGE.

Isn’t this exciting?

I rolled my eyes; of course Talia out of everybody would find this entertaining. I gave up from my attempt to getting Hunter from where I was. I got up on the table and smiled awkwardly as many people had eager eyes. Hunter gave me a puzzled look and wrapped his arms around my shoulders. “Well, look who came to join the show.”

“Hunter, what the hell are you doing?” I whispered.

“What do you mean? I’m having a little fun.” He grabbed me and his lips went on top of mine and I was struggling to getaway. I heard many gasps and whispers amongst the audience, even the occasional whoops and holler. I pushed Hunter and slapped him. This wasn’t like me, to pull something in public, but what he did was unacceptable. Hunter gave a maniacal laughter. “That, ladies and gentlemen is the love of my life. Well, up until she dumped me of course. You heard about that didn’t you?” he continued.