TD - Chapter Twenty-Five: All That Mattered

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE: All that mattered.

Natalie Cross

I sat in the study room staring at my cell phone that was across the room. I was debating whether to call him or not. Did he even want to talk to me? I thought. I really needed to talk to him. I walked on over and grabbed it. It was time for me to show no fear. I usually did that, what happened? I scrolled through my phone list and right there was Nate’s name in bright light. My finger was hovering over the call button and I was beginning to doubt this, but something in me just pressed it.

After four long buzzes he finally answered and I heard loud, booming noises. He was out, maybe even partying. How could I be so foolish to call him? “Hello?” He asked. His voice seemed tired and weary. I heard a couple of his friends yelling and him telling them to shut up. “Natalie?” he asked.

“How’d you know?” I asked buying time. I missed his voice.

“Caller ID I guess.”

“Oh, right.” I stammered and bead of sweat began to fall. “Look, Nate I called to say how sorry I am. I shouldn’t have even gone out with him and it was foolish of me to have even agreed to it.” There was a moment of brief silence, but I knew he was still there. I could hear him breathing in the other end. Say something, anything. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault I guess.” I began to smile. “But, um, I just don’t think anything’s going to happen between us anymore. You were right the first time, you moved on and it’s about time I did too.” Did you ever experience your heart being broke down into a million pieces like it hurts so much that no emotions seemed to show? That’s what happened at that moment. I couldn’t move, but all I did was hang up the phone and should’ve gone with my first instinct, I should’ve just stared at my phone.

I just dropped on the ground with my wide eyes open and cried and hugged myself and curled into a little ball. My parents weren’t around to see me like this, but the maids were. They all rushed over to me yelling and screaming if I was ok, but you didn’t need a rocket scientist to figure out that I wasn’t. I couldn’t move nor did I want to. I just wanted to stay still and let the word handle itself for once because right now, for once in my life, I didn’t want to do anything.

My eyes drowsily opened and my head started to pound like drums. I was in my bedroom with every memory of what just happened. I saw Talia and Sam sitting on each side of my bed while both were reading magazines. I honestly wondered what was going on with them. I no longer felt like any teenager with teenage problems, mine seemed a little more hostile than that. They finally noticed I was awake and both dropped their magazines and looked at me with curious eyes.

“We’re glad you’re awake.” Samantha said. “What happened to you?” She asked pouring me a glass of water. Talia grabbed the plate of chocolate macaroons in which I enjoyed. I propped myself into a sitting position and took a bite of my macaroons and a sip of my water. I shrugged. “Well, they said you passed out because of stress and the lack of nutrients your getting. I’m pretty sure that’s not healthy Nutty.” Samantha’s doe eyes looked at me in pure concern. I still shrugged, unwilling to tell them about Nate.

Nate. I felt like the world was collapsing again. “Nate,” I said out loud. Maybe saying it out loud could make it less true, but it wasn’t. He didn’t love me anymore. I cried again as if I was a broken faucet. I cried and cried, but more tears just came. My best friends stroked my back until I finally stopped. I didn’t tell them, but they knew they had to comfort me because right now they were all I had at the moment. I still cried even more that night until I finally closed my eyes because somehow, that was all I could do, cry.

Why did I even bother going to school? I’m pretty sure all I got was people talking about me and whispering. I decided not to care anymore. That’s how it started this year, that’s how I’m planning to end it off. I walked over to Talia’s locker as Randy and she were staring at each other like they were lost lovers. It should’ve made me moon on how cute they were, but all it got me was heart wrenching pain. I opened the magazine that was with me and just flipped through the pages. “How are you feeling Natalie?” Randy asked suddenly. I wasn’t even looking at the images, I was just looking and hoping something will happen.