TD - Chapter Fourteenth: Trust, it's an Issue

CHAPTER FOURTEEN: Trust, it's an Issue.

Natalie Cross

What a lovely morning it is here in Crossville, but that would be a large understatement. It is beautiful here in Crossville, but it was never my type. My arrogant father shipped me here for God knows what reason. I never complained because that would’ve made me a whiney kid and that was the one thing I didn’t want my father to think of me.

I was hanging around my hide out which I found not too long ago. I needed a place to hang around when nobody can feel my pain, where nobody can see my pain. It’s okay if people branded me as the whole emotional, got-something-against-the-world kind of chick, but that’s what I like about myself. I really just do not care.

I remember my first time being here, which was all too vivid in my mind, but Talia was the one who took me in. She was my second cousin and all, but I’ve always thought of her as my best friend, the one who understood me. We’ve always been different from each other; she liked bright and shiny things, I always liked darkness. Not that I wanted to die or anything, but this world just wasn’t where I thought I’d ended up to be.

School to me was a twisted, senile world. As much as you wanted it to be cliché free, it isn’t. You always have the losers, the wannabees, the jocks, the cheerleaders, etc. There will also be that one group that everybody wanted to be, who everybody wanted to hang out with. That would be us. I honestly did enjoy all the attention, also the feeling of being in control. People always amounted to Sam and Talia being the head, but I never usually bothered to care.

The brown fence looked about old enough for it to collapse. There was nobody in my hide out which I enjoyed even more. There would usually be boys who came to smoke like I did. They usually get shocked by my appearance. Yeah, a classy girl like me has issues too. I didn’t want to be known as a girl who had everything, but sometimes a girl who had everything wouldn’t mean she’s necessarily happy.

I took a puff out of my Malboro light. The first time I took it was brutal, but as times passed and as times hardened there was nothing to do, nothing to runaway to. I threw my cigarette in a nearby bush and stepped on it. I walked back to my house knowing that nobody would be home. That’s what sucks about being an only child, the fact that you have nobody to lean to.

Percy jumped on me the moment I walked in the door. My mother bought me this dog. The moment she told she couldn’t conceive any more children she rewarded me with a dog. Not that I didn’t appreciate it, but it still disappointed me.

“Mademoiselle, you have a phone call from a Nathaniel.” Jacques my butler came out of nowhere. I rolled my eyes and nodded my head. Nathaniel Ex. The thought of him was unbearable. Since that incident happened he came crawling back to me. I’m not something you can just throw away. I knew that from my father. I was debating if I should return his call. I decided not to. I had nothing to say anyway.

It was about eight o’clock and Shane was supposed to arrive any minute. I decided on wearing a white, wool shirt from H&M, black leather leggings, and black clogs that my mother mailed me from Paris. I put a toque on to help me from the cold. I heard the car honk. I kissed Percy goodbye and locked my house door. I had a dream of yelling goodbye to my house and knowing someone would reply back, but all I see was an empty house waiting to be filled in.

“Good morning,” Sam greeted. She wore a plain, black shirt, polka dot, printed shorts with a beige, cardigan. Talia looked gorgeous as usual. For some strange reason, I never felt threatened by her, but by the looks of it she always felt threatened around me. She was wearing a floral top under a cute, high waist skirt. She had tights and her gorgeous nude heels. Her blonde hair was in her signature chiffon bun.