TD - Chapter Twenty-Three: Until Then

Note from the author: I apologize on the fact that I posted Chapter 24 instead of 23, clearly I need to know how to count! Here's Chapter 23! I hope you enjoy.

-YG

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: Until then.

Natalie Cross

Carter picked me up from school, but a regular girl would have their relatives pick them up outside, but with Carter on the other hand, actually picked me up from my class. He walked me to my locker as I opened it and his eyes probably scanning the crowd for Samantha. I rolled my eyes and took my books from my locker. “Really Carter,” I asked persisting. I’m scared for both of them, to both expenses. Carter is using her as his way of getting over Annalyse and Samantha might fall too hard to end up getting hurt.

“What? She looks much different than I remember of her. It’s quite intriguing.” He sounded more and more like Carter every time he spoke. It relieved me, but I was still frightened of the outcome. I started to walk towards the school doors. Carter walked beside me still keeping on the look-out for Sam. I noticed that Nate was leaning against the tables outside the school and I couldn’t help, but smile at him. He was beautiful.

Carter grabbed me in for a hug. I knew he meant well, but to have him pretend to be my boyfriend was disgusting. He was my cousin, I wondered if Annalyse really did leave him in this state of mental loss. Nate rolled his eyes as he approached both of us in a slow matter. His messenger bag was on his side as he looked amazing with his black v-neck shirt and his jeans. “Are you really with him after the night we just had?” he asked blatantly. I remember the times he was overprotective of me, but now I rather enjoyed it or at least I learned to enjoy it.

“What night?” Carter interrupted pretending to be appalled. I shook my head.

“I’m done with your silly, little games Carter. I’m sorry, my cousin means well. He really was in the boat of you and I being together,” I began to explain. His green eyes sparkled. “But he just couldn’t accept the fact that we aren’t anymore.” I finished. His eyes dulled, but he understood. He knew what I needed him to say. Carter laughed.

“Oh cousin, you were never one for good humour. Nice to meet you, I’ve heard a lot about you, well at least when you both were still together. I’ve seen a lot of couples who were in love in my years, but I haven’t seen young love like you two. I’m still on the boat for you two to be together again. Excuse me,” he explained as he finally left me alone with Nate. He looked to the floor trying to avoid my gaze.

“So it was his ploy to try to make me jealous or something?” He asked innocently.

“Yeah, he wanted to make you jealous to apparently speed things up.” I truthfully said. I saw a faint redness to his cheeks as we began walking to the parking lot. I couldn’t think straight. He probably thought I was desperate. I regretted telling him now, but he then began to talk.

“I would love to speed things up,” He added quotation marks to emphasize. “But it’s incredibly hard to when I want it to be perfect. Well, it was perfect, but it was-”

“Interrupted,” I finished for him and we both smiled at each other, suddenly, a group of girls crowded before us, but mainly looking at me. Kelly Anton and her crew were accepted into our table, but none of them said much. They usually had their own conversations. I necessarily didn’t care much for them. I stood there uncomfortably as Kelly’s short black hair seemed to be styled into something better. “Hey Kelly,” I greeted, but she wasn’t there for me as she circled Nate.

Her friends giggled in the background. Kelly may have the appearance of a plain Jane, but she’s as slick as Talia is. I stood there to watch what was happening. I couldn’t help, but smile as she actually dressed up for this occasion. Nate looked uncomfortable as they were having a conversation as she would laugh at everything he said. I really had this incredible urge to erupt in laughter, I hope it didn’t show. “Well, I was wondering if you would like to grab a bite to eat later, maybe at seven.” She blinked rapidly making her eyelashes flutter. I rolled my eyes my mouth turning into a curve.