Episode 27: Till We Meet Again

Start from the beginning

"Ehh~ You do care about the Chief-"

Before Dazai could even spout anymore nonsense, I covered his mouth and began suffocating him.

"J-Joke! It...was a joke..." He muttered.

I let him go and laughed.

Now that was funny.

"Geez. Aren't you a sadist?" Dazai commented after I let him go. He sat properly this time, right beside me.

"Being suffocated by a beautiful woman doesn't seem so bad, however, I prefer it more if we both engage to a double suicide...what do you-"

"Nope, not going to happen." I replied immediately becore he even finishes.

Is this what Odasaku told me about? Dazai sure does weird things all the time.

Nevertheless, he'll probably change in the future.

I stretched my arms and took a deep breath. The weather feels good. I glanced to the grave of Odasaku and placed my hand to his tombstone.

Can you see us?

Dazai and I...our lives has changed because of you. You changed Dazai, Odasaku. You truly are an amazing person even at the end.

I wonder when I'll be able to see you again?

"Ne, ne, let's play a game, Yuko-chan." Dazai said which made me turned to him.

"A game?"

"Hmm...more like a bet."

"What are we betting for?"

Dazai paused for a while before he looked at me. I was waiting for his continuation, curiously.

"Whether you'll still come back in Yokohama." He said with a smile.

Hm?

Whether I'll come back? Is that needed? Of course I'll come back to Yokohama in the future...

There's no way this city is going to let me go for long, that's for sure.

"If I win, I'll have you come back here and stay with me...I promised him that." Dazai continued.

A promise.

Just what did you tell him, Odasaku?

"And if I win?"

"You're free to go, or if you want to return. I won't ask for it." He smiled.

My eyebrows raised for a moment before I gave him a smile.

The bet doesn't even make any sense.

"Dazai-san, no need for a bet. Just give me some time first...after that, you're free to call me back with you."

Dazai's eyes widened, really surprised.

I don't know what he's thinking but, it's natural for me not to leave him alone for so long. He's a precious friend of mine, after all...I don't want to lose him too.

"Is this what you meant when you said that I won't lose you, back then?" As Dazai returned his gaze in front, there was a ghost of smile lingering in his lips.

I chuckled.

"Yeah. I won't leave you 'that' alone."

"So, we're thinking of the same thing? It's reassuring."

"Is it?"

"Yeah."

I smiled to myself and raised my hand to pat his head. Dazai didn't complain, he just looked at me carefully.