Chapter 30

"No, Janna. You're not going back to San Pascual." Phoenix said curtly.

"Bakit?" She asked, surprised.

"Sapat na ang data na nakuha mo sa farmers. All you have to do now is write the report."

"But... si Fred ang gumagawa ng reports. Field work  lang ako."

"Noon yun. Mas comprehensive ang report kung may direct input ang field officer. Okay, next topic!"

Janna hid her dismay and frustration. This was the nth time that Phoenix had overhauled her work since he got on board.

Not that she could find fault with his work-related decisions. Phoenix's  leadership style was easy and collaborative. Everyone in the team liked him.

He also liked everyone back. Except for Janna.

No one else may have noticed it, but he always assigned the least desirable tasks to her, such as doing menial clerical tasks, or running errands in and outside the office. Even her field work wasn't spared, as she was relegated to either the most tedious tasks or the most difficult ones.

Janna tried to convince herself that this was normal work for an OJT, even though the past few months before he arrived told a different story.

What really hurt the most was his coldness and indifference to her. Compared to how he treated others in the team — with warmth and respect — he was distant, cold and aloof to her.

She witnessed this firsthand when they were together once in the elevator. Phoenix chatted animatedly with their fellow passengers. When all the others stopped off their floors, leaving them alone, Phoenix' mood changed from being light and cheery to a serious, even frowning one. The silence was deafening and downright uncomfortable.

Janna tried to speak, but she was overwhelmed by his cold demeanor. When the elevator opened, Phoenix broke again into a bright smile as he greeted colleagues, back to his old self again.

"Ano naman yun! I mean, kung galit siya sa akin, bakit hindi niya sabihin! Hindi ganitong pati work ay apektado!" Janna griped to Jake over bottles of beer that night at their favorite outdoor bar near the office.

"Tanungin mo kaya siya, Jang-jang!" Jake said, who knew about her past relationship with Phoenix.

"Kapag umarte siya, parang siya ang aggrieved party! Siya kaya ang nag-dump sa akin ng walang pasintabi!"

"It's because wala kayong closure, Jang-jang. Kailangan isara ninyong mabuti para hindi kayo bitter gaya nito."

"Kailangan ba talagang isara?" Janna said miserably.

Jake gave her a consoling hug, knowing it wasn't enough. Janna sadly still hadn't moved on from Phoenix.

"Hindi kita masisisi. That's some guy you got there. He's a hottie."

Jake said, pointing to a car stopping at a red light. The window was open and Phoenix was inside.

"Jake..."

"Hmm..."

"Akin siya, umayos ka!"

"Hehe, Jang-jang, ikaw ngang labs na labs niya dati ay inayawan niya, ako pa. Umaasa lang naman ako."

"Pareho tayo, Jakey." Janna replied sadly, wincing at the term inayawan.

Janna endured the situation as best as she could. She didn't complain and worked harder. Even when Phoenix couldn't seem to find anything good about her work and grilled her often.

Janna missed the time when Phoenix was gentle and loving. This new Phoenix was a total stranger, one who made Janna's life miserable.

"Pati pagtimpla ng kape, Jakey, namaster ko na!" She whispered into her cellphone as she sat alone in the darkened corner of the office. She was in yet another overtime work when Jake called.

"Tama yan! Para pag-graduate mo, dakilang sekretarya ka!" Jake joked.

Janna ended the call, sighing.

When she turned around, there was Phoenix, apparently waiting for her to finish the call.

Janna scrambled to her feet in surprise. Her elbow hit the coffee cup in his hand and it splashed.

"Ouch!" He dropped the plastic cup on the floor.

"Phoenix, sorry! Hindi ko alam na andiyan ka!"

"Shit, that's hot!" His fingers were turning red.

"Sorry!" She quickly took a handkerchief out, grabbed his hand and started wiping his scalded fingers.

Phoenix snatched it away.

"Leave it! Let's just clean up this mess!"

"Ako na ang maglilinis nito." Janna said, searching for paper towels.

"Next time kasi, focus! Huwag panay boyfriend ang inaatupag!"

Janna was confused. Napagkamalan ba niya si Jake?

He looked mad as hell when he added: "And bring all the files on the Agusan project to my office now!" He barked and left.

-o-

"What's wrong with you? Ba't ang tagal nito?" Phoenix snapped at her when she handed him the documents.

"Medyo nagtagal ako sa paglilinis."

He skimmed through the documents, looked up, then rebuked her again: "Can't you at least tidy up?"

"I'm sorry! Nagmadali na kasi akong dalhin dito ang documents." She dabbed ineffectually at the coffee stain in her shirt.

Phoenix saw the angry red welt near her elbow.

"Shit! Bakit hindi mo sinabing napaso ka rin pala!" He rushed to her side and grabbed her arm to examine it.

"Wala 'to!" Janna snatched her hand back, suddenly uncomfortable with his nearness.

"Of all the... this must hurt a lot..."

Then he scolded:  "What the hell, Janna! Are you an idiot! Ba't hindi ka nagsalita?"

"Okay lang ako!" Janna insisted.

"This is so like you. Napapahamak na, okay pa rin. Hindi ka na nagbago! Dammit, the level of your stupidity talaga, Balagtas!" He said in disgust.

Janna stood there with her arm stinging painfully. But the sting in his words cut through her until she couldn't take it anymore.

She took a deep breath.

"Pwede, tama na, Rich Boy?" She burst out.

"What did you say?" Phoenix turned to face her.

"Kung may galit ka sa akin, pwede sabihin mo ng derecho? Hindi yung pati trabaho ay dinadamay mo."

"What are you talking about? This is all about your work!"

"Naiintindihan ko naman kung bakit galit ka, eh! Kung hindi ka sumabit sa aktibistang gaya ko, hindi ka sana nabaril! I'm bad news! Deserve ko that you left!" She said with bitterness.

"Don't go there, Hellcat..." He was caught off-guard by her outburst.

"Pero hanggang kailan ako magbabayad? Ba't pati sa OJT ko kailangan kong magbayad?" She continued, not caring anymore.

"Enough of this! Wala kang sense kausap!"

"Alam mo ba, ikaw ang binaril, pero may sugat din ako simula ng araw na yun." She said tearfully.

"Hey...!"

"Buti ka nga, nakapagpagamot! Pero ako hindi na gumaling!" Janna's voice was pain-filled.

"Bayad na bayad na ako sa 'yo, Rich Boy. Kaya sana huwag mo nang idagdag ang trabahong 'to sa kailangan ko pang bayaran!" 

With that, Janna turned and ran away.