Chapter 29

It was one year later.

Janna walked the hallways of the expensively-furnished office inside one of the well-known buildings at the center of Makati's business district. She found it strange that a non-government organization and charitable institution had this posh office as its headquarters.

When she was ushered into the interview room, she finally realized why.

"Janna, Iha! Kamusta ka na?" It was Senator Etta.

"Good morning po. What..."

"Iha, this is Nina. She will be orienting you on your tasks while you are doing your OJT in our company!"

"Po... akala ko po interview pa lang ito."

"Formality na lang ang interview, Iha. We have already decided na kunin ka. Your work for the farmers in San Pascual makes you very qualified for this job. Welcome aboard!"

Janna had no intention of going back to Senator Etta's NGO after that. But the College Secretary advised her a week later that this was the best option for her college practicum, and that the office of the good senator was already expecting her. If she wanted to graduate this year, this was the best choice for her.

So Janna spent many restless nights thinking whether to work at the NGO or not. Her only concern about the job was its association with Phoenix and his family.

But Phoenix was still in the US. Janna heard that he graduated as expected last school year, despite the shooting incident. Janna was proud of him. Despite what he had gone through, he still finished college.

But rumors had it that he will be taking up masteral studies in the States. He would not be coming back any time soon.

Unlike him, Janna wasn't able to graduate last school year. If Phoenix had the physical wounds from the ambush, Janna had psychological trauma. She didn't go to any therapy and just carried it forward with her. She had to look strong for her parents, who were already deeply worried about her.

Add to that the devastation of Phoenix cutting her off from his life, and Janna's studies suffered tremendously. She flunked and dropped out on many of her subjects.

Working at the award-winning NGO was a great opportunity and would really look good for her college records.

And so it was that despite all her misgivings, she began working as a development officer for Senator Etta's  organization.

She shouldn't have worried. Months passed and her job was going well. It was challenging but she was learning a lot. She was also very happy to come back to San Pascual and oversee the farmers' needs. They had finally been granted the lands that  Senator Martinez had denied them. He was now in jail for his many crimes. The NGO was tasked to assist the agrarian reform implementation for the farms in San Pascual.

-o-

One lazy Sunday morning a few weeks later, Janna was picking up the newspaper when she caught sight of a familiar car. It was a Porsche, parked two houses away across the street.

Her heart nearly jumped. Then it settled down. Of course it wasn't Phoenix's Porsche. He was in the States.

"Jang-jang! Good morning! Nasaan na ang newspaper?" Jake's voice came from inside the apartment.

Janna smiled and looked back where Jake was standing in the open doorway in his floral board shorts and a white cotton shirt.

"Morning! Shucks maghilamos ka nga! May muta ka pa sa mata, o!" Janna loved to tease her housemate. Their friendship that began from a drinking spree grew quickly into a very tight one.

At the start of this school year, when Jake was looking for a new place to stay, it was but natural that Janna offered the room next to hers in her apartment. The better to split the rent, and also because Jake was the best closet gay friend Janna could ever have.

He sauntered over to Janna and placed an arm across her shoulder. "Jang-jang, pwede pa-deliver na lang tayo for breakfast?"

"Bakit? Magluluto pa naman sana ako?"

"Well... kailangan kong hindi kumain ng luto mo, kahit paminsan-minsan."

"Ano?!"

Jake leaned closer to whisper jokingly near her ear.

"Jang-jang, ikakamatay ko na ang calorific luto mo, promise!"

At that, Janna pinched him at his side. All Janna knew how to cook these days were fried and more fried food. She no longer cooked elaborate dishes like she used to when Phoenix was around.

"Aba't ininsulto mo pa ang luto ko!"

In truth, Janna was thankful that Jake became her friend. He brought laughter back to her miserable life and helped her achieve a semblance of normal living. It was easier to bear when you have a friend who listened through the tough times.

Jake was thankful for Janna's kindness and acceptance. She was one of the few who truly understood him and kept his secret. Jake had not officially outed himself.

Janna took one last look at the parked Porsche, her eyes lost in remembrance. Then with a shrug, she put her arms around Jake's waist as they went together inside.

-o-

It was Phoenix's Porsche, and he was driving it. He had witnessed the two looking happy and flirting with each other, and he was filled with anger.

Couldn't you have waited longer, Hellcat?

You abandoned her, Rich Boy.

Kahit na, even widows grieve for years.

You're being unreasonable.

Her love was shallow. If that was even love.

Maybe it was never meant to be.

-o-

Two weeks later, Janna arrived at their headquarters, looking tired and haggard, a backpack slung across her shoulders. She just came back from San Pascual. She came in to the headquarters to hand in her data and to attend the staff meeting.

She was late for the meeting, so she had no time to tidy up.  Their company was used to its field workers coming in and out and in their field clothes anyway.  Janna had enough time to greet her colleagues and appraise everyone of the situation in San Pascual. The farmers were starting their first farming season as independents not tied up to the hacienda. They were doing great.

Then their research head introduced the new project leader of their agrarian development initiatives. A mathematics degree-holder with a major in economics. He was also the youngest member of the Board.

It was Phoenix.

Janna's world tilted alarmingly. She looked at him in frozen disbelief. At the same time her heart was drinking in every part of his dearly-missed features.

Phoenix just looked back with an unreadable expression in his eyes.