Chapter 4

Janna felt like a fugitive on the run as she tiptoed out of the ladies' room. Her plan was to get out of this place as fast as possible.

Earlier, she had to make an excuse to go to the restroom just so she could get away from Phoenix and his friends.

It was too much. First the shock of his announcement that made her his girlfriend, then the barrage of questions from his friends that Phoenix expertly handled. But mostly it was the unsettling way that he kept hugging and touching her that got on Janna's nerves.

So when he buried his face in her neck, and his ear came near her mouth as a result, she clamped her teeth on it and applied just enough pressure for it to hurt.

Phoenix' sudden intake of breathe assured Janna that the ear-biting was effective. Quickly, she stood up, made an excuse and headed for the restroom.

Now, Janna was out of the restroom and was literally hiding behind some decorative plants, waiting for an opportunity to dash out of the place without Phoenix noticing.

It was difficult. From behind the plants, she could see Phoenix some feet away. He was keeping an eye on the ladies' room!

Shit! Inaabangan pa yata niya akong lumabas! Janna thought, dismayed.

She observed him from across the room. Tall and lanky, with a mix of mestizo and Filipino features, he actually was very pleasant to look at. No. Quite an eye candy. No. Really handsome. Actually, drop-dead gorgeous.

Janna mentally kicked herself for her wayward thoughts.

Arogante, bastos, feeling entitled, spoiled brat kamo, ano ba, Janna?!

A waiter with a large tray passed by, and Janna used him as cover and walked beside him. Nearing the door, she made a dash for it and made it safely out of the noisy venue.

She breathed a sigh of relief.

Only to catch it again when Rex, the burly bodyguard, stood in front of her to bar her way! Janna tried to move around him but he kept blocking her!

"H-hello po!"

Rex just stood there like the statue of Liberty.

"Bouncer ka pala dito! K, bye!" Janna faked a move to the right then reversed to the left and walked away as fast as she could, leaving him behind.

Janna walked non-stop for 10 minutes, zigzagging and making many turns just to make sure she wasn't followed by Phoenix' hound dog.

She collapsed on a dimly-lit park bench to catch her breath. The moon was out, and painted a nice evening scene together with the stars. Passersby were strolling the park, enjoying what remained of the day.

A man sat down beside Janna.

"Tsk! Tsk! Tsk! I never thought you're a coward, Janna Balagtas! Ang tapang mo pa naman sa rally kanina!"

Phoenix!

Janna stood up and tried to run. But Phoenix held on to her wrist before she could go far.

"Sandali." He said calmly. 

Janna tried to pull her hand loose but he was too strong. After several tries, she conceded defeat.

"Ano bang kailangan mo?" Janna hissed at him.

Phoenix slightly loosened his hold on her wrist, then slowly slid his hand down to intertwine her fingers with his.

Janna felt slightly light-headed all of a sudden.

"This." He replied.

"Ano?!"

"Alam mo na, di ba? Slow ka ba? Sinabi ko na sa kanila na girlfriend kita. Kaya first thing na kailangan ko sa yo ay magpanggap ka..."

"Bangag ka ba? Lakas ng tama neto!" She interrupted.

"... muna!" Phoenix continued.

"Hoy! Kahit bayaran mo ako ng isang milyon hindi ako magpapa-uto sa yo!"

"Not even when you could pay for the Porsche?"

Janna stood still.

"See! Ganun lang kadali. All you have to do is pretend for say, one month. Tapos na problema mo!" He said.

"Alam mo, sobra kang pathetic!" Janna said in disgust.

"Anong pathetic? I'm offering you a way out na hindi na magbayad sa damage ng kotse ko!"

"Kapal naman ng mukha mo! What if may boyfriend na ako? Naisip mo ba yun?"

"You don't have a boyfriend."

"Pano mo nalaman? Ah wait! Sa yaman mong yang, malamang pina-detective mo pa ako. Grabe ha?"

"Maangas ka, maingay ka, weirdo ka. Nanghula lang ako na walang papatol sa yo!"

"Ikaw ang weirdo! Stalker! Pervert!" Janna was fast running out of adjectives with this guy!

"Can't you get it that this is actually a win-win situation for you?"

"Bakit naman ako magpapanggap na girlfriend mo? Walang-wala na ba talagang papatol sa yo? Wait lang? Bakla ka ba?" She taunted.

Phoenix stood up and leaned towards her threateningly. "I guess this is the part where I should do something kasi tinawag mo akong bakla."

Janna regretted calling him that. Especially as it looked like he would really do something about it. His face was inches from hers. She could feel his breathe fan across her face.

There was a moment's silence.

Phoenix laughed softly. "But luckily, may taste naman akong tao. You look like..." He examined her face closely. "...like hindi ka pa naghihilamos ng isang linggo!"

He released her. Janna rubbed her elbow, for he held it tightly and now it felt a bit sore.

Phoenix saw the gesture. He took her elbow and examined it, ignoring her protests.

"You stupid girl! This looks like from the fall you had earlier! You're injured!" Was there a note of concern in his voice?

"I... I didn't remember getting hurt when I fell."

Phoenix all but dragged her to a nearby 7-11 store and bought betadine and band-aids. He ordered her to sit still as he applied the medicine and patched the scratch with band-aid.

"Thank you...!" Janna reluctantly said. Then snapped: "Teka! Bakit ako magta-thank you eh kasalanan mo naman to!"

Phoenix sighed. "This is getting really lame. Tapusin na natin to!"

He looked at her from across the table.

"My car was damaged. You, or one of your fellow rallyists, did it. I need compensation."

"Wala akong kinalaman dun!"

"There will be a police report on the incident. My car has insurance but I want the person who vandalized it to shoulder the cost ot repairs.  Plus vandalism is a crime and the offender would most definitely face legal consequences." He continued seriously.

Janna stared at him in dismay.

"Bring me the person who damaged my car. Or else I'll name you as that person. Kasi ikaw ang alam kong nandun nung time na yun."

"A week, Janna Balagtas. Be my girlfriend or go to jail."