Forced Friendship

Start from the beginning

"I happen to have a well deserved day off! Don't get jealous because you still have stuff to do!" I point at him. 

Carl scoffs. "Jealous? It just means I'm better and more trusted than you by putting in more hours and doing more dangerous work-" 

"Carl?" A voice calls around the corner. "What are you- Y/N? What the hell are you guys yelling about?" Glenn emerges from the corner and Carl and I start talking at once, which jumbles our words together making no sense to Glenn. "Okay, shut up! Both of you! Carl, what happened?"

"Oh, okay, talk to him first, right? Spreading lies before you can even hear my side-" I stop when I see Glenn glaring back and forth at Carl and I. 

"I'm literally so sick of this," Glenn mumbles. "That's it- you know what? Follow me. Both of you." As we follow Glenn he continues to speak. "This entire prison is so fed up with you two fighting all the time! We are in a group to survive together-"

"Yeah, but some people don't like to work together to survive," Carl says glaring at me. I don't look back at him. 

"That's not the point! What I'm trying to say is... you two need to learn to get along with each other."

"Yeah, good luck," I mutter. 

"No, you will get along with each other," Glenn repeats, turning to face both of us and stopping. 

"Glenn, seriously, I have to get back to my dad-"

"No you don't, Carl." Glenn rolls his eyes and leads us to the cells. "Y/N, can you get me that key over there?" He points at the table. "Carl, can you see if my watch is in there?" He points to an empty cell. "I was checking it out earlier to see if there was anything good in there. Nothing. But now I can't find my watch." Carl nods and enters the cell. I hand Glenn the key and he smiles. "Perfect, thanks. Come here," he grabs my arm lightly and leads me to the cell that Carl was searching. "Alright, have fun," he says shoving me in the cell and slamming the door shut. The lock clicked shut when he inserted the key. He waved the key in front of the cell and shoved it in his pocket. 

"Glenn! No! Don't! I can't- there's no way you actually did this!" I yell, hanging on to the bars. 

"Hey, once you learn to get along I'll let you out. Have to go on a run real quick, see you both later." He laughs and then walks out the door, both Carl and I yelling at him the entire time. We hear the door slam shut and we both go quiet. 

The cell is quiet for a long time, and I can't even bear to look at Carl. We haven't moved from where we originally were since we got here. "Glenn is getting seriously beat when we get out of here," I half-joke. 

"Why, am I that bad?" Carl asks jokingly. 

I turn to face him. "Yes. If you would have left me alone we wouldn't even be here right now, you asshole!" 

"Oh so this whole thing is my fault now? Maybe if you would actually get to work sometimes-"

"No, Carl, the only way we're getting out of this cell is if we stop arguing. So just be quiet until Glenn gets back and then we can... hug or something so he lets us out." 

We stay silent again but this time I'm sitting in the corner while Carl sits on the bed. "What's your favorite color?" Carl asks suddenly. 

"What?"

"Your favorite color, love. Didn't you go over the colors in kindergarten?"

"Shut up," I snap. After some time I can feel Carl's eyes on me so I answer. "Yellow. You?" 

"Blue."

I don't say anything, I just hug my knees and look at the wall again. Since we're stuck in here, I have to ask, "Why do you hate me?"