Chapter Nine: Recollections

quick a/n:
sorry that this chapter is late y'all, i had a busy day yesterday and was unable to finish the chapter in time. i went out to see the aot chronicle movie, finished mariah's memoir, read chapter 134 and caught up on my assignments. so once again, i am so sorry for updating a bit late! next chapter will be out on november 16th!

"I was a child whose life was filled with anguish. Ever since I was little, I could never remember a time where I felt safe, or a place that I could call home. It was tough."

Nineteen years ago, a baby girl was born. She was born into a world that was cruel, and was raised in a living hell. From the moment her father first held her, he knew that he would do anything he could to protect her from the horrors she would experience in the Underground. No matter how hard he tried to keep the true secrets of this world confidential, he came to realize that she can't continue living a life filled with lies.
At such a young age, she learned the basic skills to wield a knife and protect herself from anybody who tried to harm her. At such a young age, she got used to living in fear. At such a young age, she learned that to survive in this cruel world, she would have to be strong and independent. She couldn't be vulnerable. She had to be prepared for anything and everything.
Her parents were strong, very strong. Imani, her mother, was an intelligent woman who always devised and sold plans to murderers, drug dealers and even terrorists to get money. She used her intelligence for the wrong reasons and she knew that. Whatever talent you have in the Underground will only be recognized by how you can manipulate it in an evil way. So, Imani would calculate a one-hundred percent accurate way to do the worst things.
Levi, her father, was a very strong man who did whatever he wanted. The excellency of his strength was used in the best and worst way possible. Nobody could compare to him. Nobody. And to have such a strong man be your father, made (Y/N) feel protected. Though, the protection didn't come with safety.

Early memories of (Y/N)'s childhood were always filled with fear, attacks, and constant hiding and moving. At one point, her family had to hide in an abandoned building due to all the terrorist attacks in their small neighborhood. Isabel and Farlan were with them as well. The child was taught to be very silent when bombers would come by the area to find and kill people.
Eventually, they did find them. (Y/N) was the first to notice one of them scavenging the area around them. He didn't notice her at first, but when she turned around to alert her parents, he heard her knock an empty can over. The noise radiated throughout the whole floor. She didn't waste a single moment by running the opposite way of where safety was. The man never stopped chasing her, but eventually, managed to corner her near a big shattered window.
(Y/N) stood there, shaking and crying as the man came closer to her. She eventually fell to the ground, crawling backwards to get away from him. Her hands landed in the broken glass, causing her to yell out a yelp of pain. As the man reached down to grab her, he suddenly got kicked to the side. The man fell to the ground beside her, and (Y/N) was met with her angry father.

Levi let out a relieved sigh when he saw that she was alright, so he turned his head to face the terrorist beside her. He placed his foot on his stomach, glaring at him. The man didn't waste any time by hitting his own chest and starting a bomb that was attached on his body. Levi only scoffed,
"You bastard..." He muttered.
Quickly, he kicked his side and ran over to (Y/N). The sound of the ticking bomb was getting higher and higher as the countdown was getting to its stop. He picked her up, held her close to his chest, and ran full force towards the window. Right as the ticking stopped, Levi had already jumped out the window. The bomb finally exploded, and some bits and pieces of the explosion hit the two. (Y/N) cried even harder as she felt the pain.
Her father used his odm gear to safely maneuver them to the street down below. They landed near the others, that were also, safe and sound. Imani let out a heavy sigh,
"You're alright!" She exclaimed.
She ran over to Levi and examined him. He had a few scratches, but it was nothing too bad. She then looked at (Y/N), who was writhing in pain. He shoved the young girl into his wife's arms and let out an angry sigh,
"Her hands are bleeding." He said, "Take her back to the house."