The Unquiet Dead (2)

" This is sheer folly. "

- Charles Dickens

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"All the time, sir. Every night, voices in my head." Gwyneth admitted.

"You grew up on top of the rift. You're part of it. You're the key." The Doctor explained, directing a nervous glance at me. He knew that what I heard shook me up a lot.

"I've tried to make sense of it, sir. Consulted with spiritualists, table rappers, all sorts."

"Well, that should help. You can show us what to do."

"What to do where, sir?" Gwyneth asked.

"We're going to have a séance."

I zoned out for a while as Rose and the Doctor had a whispered conversation (probably about me). My mind raced with all of the possibilities. Could I find my brother and learn what happened during the first nine years of my life?

"Are you ok, Lilly?" The Doctor questioned, placing a hand on my shoulder.

I simply hummed in response.

"Rose and I have some questions but I told her that I'd ask you."

"Ask away. I probably won't answer though." I sighed quietly.

"Gwyneth said something about the blurry one and the three men...what did she mean?"

"Now really isn't the time for questions. It really doesn't matter." I tried to walk away but the Doctor grabbed my wrist.

"Lilly, she said that you've seen death...lots of it."

"What do you expect with my job?" I snapped. "Gwyneth doesn't even know what she was saying. This conversation is done." Before he could say anything else, I yanked my hand from his grip and returned to the living room.

I stayed silent while everything was set up and only nodded silently when Rose asked if I was ok. So many questions were popping up in my brain. Why can't I remember? Who is my brother? How did my parents die? What is my dream?

We all sat down around a table, me in between the Doctor and Gwyneth.

"This is how Madam Mortlock summons those from the Land of Mists, down in Bute Town. Come, we must all join hands." I reluctantly took the Doctor's hand after he gave me a warning look. I wasn't too keen on the idea of contacting the 'ghosts' and unsurprisingly, neither was Dickens.

"I can't take part in this." Charles grumbled, standing up from his seat at the table.

"Humbug? Come on, open mind." The Doctor pleaded.