XLIX. Artificial Sweeteners

Start from the beginning

I nudged a brow, and his fingers began trembling under the sheets. "Let's not play around, Benjamin," my voice was lethal, hearing his heart rate increase. "I heard Landon clearly said that you snitched on him."

Ben was quiet.

"Were you the one who snitched about Landon dealing drugs?"

I'm not stupid. I've always had a feeling—a hint of who did it. But I choose not to confront the situation. After all, it wasn't something I should be responsible for. In this case, things were being taken too far for merely a - boys being boys - quota.

He looks down, the broken frames sliding off the bridge of his nose. "He shouldn't have done that. It was wrong. I was just doing my duties as a member of the community."

"Did you really do it out of goodwill, or you did it to spite Landon?"

"Why do I have to justify what I did?" I didn't expect this type of retaliation from Ben. "What I did was right. I believe the laws agree with me. After all, I'm not the one behind bars right now."

"Ben...I'm not saying what you did is wrong. It's-" I exhaled, "You're better than this, Ben."

Ben didn't reply.

I stood up and grabbed my jacket. "I called Winnie." His eyes beamed up, "She'll be here soon."

And with the mention of her name, a knocking on the door appeared. I stood up, and without facing Ben, I knew his face had paled. I open the door to see Winnie in shorts and a large jacket. There wasn't a hint of makeup on her face causing her baby features to surface. It was apparent that she came here in a rush due to her mismatched socks and messy bun hair. Without a greeting, I walked past by her, and she entered. I closed the door, seeing Eli standing outside with a cup of water.

Fifteen minutes passed, and Winnie stepped out. She glanced at us before walking away.

I handed Eli the empty cup and followed Winnie, whose steps seemingly increased with the increased distance. I didn't call her but follow to ensure that she is okay. I watched as she exited the hospital and entered the car.

She plastered her head against the wheel and cried.

She cried for nearly an hour before starting the engine and disappeared.

I walked back into the hospital, but stopped my tracks when I heard Ben's voice. "I want to be alone, Eli," he said. A chair creaked, following with a deep sigh before Eli left the room.

I stood there, waiting for him to notice me. Eli closed the door, "Winnie broke up with Ben. He needs some time."

I knew confronting Winnie now would be too much for her. Most likely, she will snap at me for interfering between them.

What Winnie hates the most is showing her weakness in front of people.

I should know I used to be the same.

However, despite the desire to be alone. I also wanted someone to be beside me.

"I'm giving you too much freedom," Mom grumbled, pressing her chin against the wheel.

After the hospital visit, it was still extremely early in the morning. The school doesn't start for another three hours, and I was tempted to stay in bed for the whole day.

"I'll be right out. Ten minutes. I want to make sure Winnie made it home."

Mom expelled a deep breath before nodding, "You know we have to tell your dad this, right?"

I nodded in understanding before climbing out of the car. When I reached the front door, I held up a fist to knock but decided against it. Instead, I call Winnie through her phone. When she doesn't pick up, I message her that I'm in front of her house.

After five minutes, the door creaked open, and Winnie stepped out. Still in the same wardrobe, but her face was an utter mess, particularly her red eyes.

Steadily, we sat down on the front porch. It was still dark outside, so the streetlights were on. Winnie huffed a breath, allowing the warmth to escape her lungs. She tucked her sweater over her leggings, granting it some heat. "What is it?" she asked.

"I heard you break up your fake relationship," I replied, seeing Winnie twiddle with her nose.

She cleared her throat, "Yeah."

I grunted, rushing my fingers through my hair, "Holy...You like Ben!" I decided it was better to spill the beans. Act like I didn't know.

Winne grasped her hands together and looked down.

I grunted once more before standing up, pacing back and forth. "Winnie. I'm going to set this straight. I don't understand what you're saying. You like Ben, so why break up with him?"

She pinches her lip before glaring up at me, "You don't understand Ava."

Of course, I understand why Winnie would break up with Ben. She thinks he's too good for her.

On the way from the hospital to her house, I analyzed the whole situation. Despite the minor meddling in their relationship, I can wholly understand why she felt like she wasn't good enough.

Yes, the perfect hair bitch to the core cheerleader felt like she wasn't good enough for the so-called loser BennyBoy.

Most likely, spending more time with Ben and his family forced her to realize how pathetic her life really is.

Fatherless, with a mother who prostitutes herself to her boss.

Winnie's life is like a piece of candy. Pretty on the outside, nothing but artificial sweeteners on the inside.

Fake.

"Then, why don't you tell me? Tell me the truth. What's going on?" I pushed her. I can't reveal to her that I already know.

"You won't understand," she mumbled.

"Why are you doing this? Why are you pushing me away?"

"Because-" she whispered lowly, the edge of her eyes watering, "Because you don't give a damn about me."

I stood there, cautiously puzzling together my next sentence.

"I'm right, aren't I?" She smiled cruelly, "I know Ava. I know what you really think about me, and the truth is, you don't think about me at all. I'm merely another face in your little circle. Easily disposed. Easily replaced. Easily forgotten."

I swallowed, feeling my palms shaking. "Winn-"

"You were going to abandon me not too long ago when you started hanging out with Trevon. You think I don't know that?" she spoke slowly, viscously whispering every word.

Winnie stepped back, "You never cared, so, why start now?" she said before going back inside the house, leaving me cold and utterly speechless.